Website help

Serani1

Baseband Member
I've recently designed a site for a friend's band. Here it is:

http://www.syntaxband.us/Vesta Rose/vesta.html

I need help with 2 things though:

1: The media player in the top left hand corner, how can I take that and make it 'real'? Like a stand alone player that will play out of a random song list and have a little horizontal marquee running below it?

2: The forums section, what would be the best way to make a small message board? Doesn't really HAVE to fit in the pop up menu size, but I need to make one from scratch. Any suggestions? I wanted to stay away from the normal stuff, like phpbb and vbulletin etc.

Any help is help, thanks.

there isn't really a way you can make the media player 'real' with those buttons. when you see media layer on a page it's because there is a media server somewhere streaming on-request media... the only real media pluggins for a page are flash plugins...

so you could make the player in flash and then have some clever script select random flash files, or random files to pass to the server...

the site looks good, (damned good!) but I suggest that rather than using pop-ups you might want to use Iframes to make the centre of the envelope for the active content since most ad blockers will also stop your pop-up windows.

a small message box... well that really depends on what you mean, do you want a comments box, a shoutbox or a full forum? and what script languagues you can use on your host.

Ok, thanks, I figured flash was my only option, sadly aha. Thank you for the site complement, it was nothing to make, but the group said they wanted pop ups, even though I suggested otherwise. And for the message box, I guess maybe a very simple forum.

The forums section... Most common thing to do is phpBB or something similar to that. It's free and easy. Now, if you wanted something to go with your site I suggest learn a little (actually quite a bit) of php and make one. PM me for more info on that.

Back
Top Bottom