Want to learn PHP/MySQL..

Mal1

In Runtime
If you want to learn php and/or MySQL and you don't have a domain/server to ftp files upon to test them out, never fear!
Whether you have a domain or not you can use the program "wamp5" available here (choose your platform then follow the instructions, as most people use windows here a direct link to the mirrors page for windows xp.) Having only got it today I've found it an excellent program to start webprogramming with. I wish I knew about it sooner. N.B It does leave security holes in your system as the apache and mysql services are running on ports that are listening for connections, but whenever you ftp or the like you have similar problems (dont let this scare you off if you're new, its not a huge deal and any decent firewall should protect you from anything trying malicious methods on it.)

Excellent program, recommeded to all web developers who dont have visual studio.

P.S. "wampserver" is configured to open its relevant windows in IE by default, you can easily change this on the "wampserver.ini" file by replacing "explorer.exe" with the path of your desired browser. Anyone not knowing how to do this but wanting to, PM me and I'll explain in more detail.

EDIT:- I've just found a perfect tutorial accompanying this setup.
This PHP/MySQL/Apache tutorial provides a solid explanation of all areas. Happy programming!

Back
Top Bottom