new to web design

desmond5986

Solid State Member
I am new to web design and seeking for opinions on how to obtain some real practical works from online to improve my skills ? I am trying to do html and CSS and will do JavaScript in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Check out http://www.w3schools.com/ - those are tutorials from the guys that wrote these standards so they're some of the most reliable around (also pretty comprehensive.) It's one of the rare places on the web where you can pretty much take what it says as gospel.

I learned html and css from there, the thing that i want now is practical work, like designing a real website or helping some non-profit community to design a website .........

Any idea ?

Design one yourself first, then get feedback from others on how it looks (post it here for instance.)

One other thing while I think about it - good design is much more than learning HTML / CSS / Javascript and whacking the lot together. I can do that in my sleep (as can most programmers I know working in the industry) but I'm no designer - and I'm the first to admit it. Learning how to design things properly takes time and in many ways a completely different mindset to learning HTML / CSS in the first place.

If more teenagers these days realised that knowing how to write a basic bit of CSS doesn't make you a world class designer, we'd probably see a lot fewer horrible looking sites out there than at the moment!

Thanks for all of the suggestion, i have another question regarding Java Script , i am trying to add some effect ' fade ' for my slide show but i don't know how to do that, please help. The following is my code:

<script type="text/javascript">
//-- hide from old browser
var slidelogo=new Array("images/slideshow/d1.jpg","images/slideshow/d2.jpg","images/slideshow/d3.jpg","images/slideshow/d4.jpg")
a=0
slideCt=slidelogo.length

function rotate(){
if (document.images){
if (document.slide.complete){
a++
if (a==slideCt){
a=0
}
document.slide.src=slidelogo[a]
}
setTimeout("rotate()",3000)