displaying data from a spreadsheet?

jay8990

Daemon Poster
ok so im making a website for the local swimming club. thing is they want to list each swimmers best times over several events.
so i need a way to display information from a spreadsheet? or database? in a nice lil table on a page when its clicked.

eg--> click on link "best times" comes up page with all swimmers names, click on a name, comes up all their individual times over each event.

what should i be looking into to program this??

Personally I think php would be the best choice for this, however some people may think otherwise...

the reason I think PHP is best is because I (personally) think it is easiest to work with, you'll be able to use file processess to open up a spreadsheet saved in a CSV format and process it directly, there are connectors for all kind of database including Access, MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, Postgre, there are good XML tools if you decide to store data like that.

its all really up to you, but to be honest I think that your best bet is to abandon the spread sheet and go with a database, either make the entire thing solely web based and use a database like MySQL (because it's free).
or use a database like access, (you'll need office) but you can access this from a windows desktop easily, move it on a floppy disk, and easily make a nice website.

using a real database rather than a spread sheet will make it a lot easier to sort data as you can do all of that inside of SQL statements.

Back
Top Bottom