My Tutorial Site

Seti - I was not trying to "beat" anyone up... I was just explaining my thoughts on the matter. And btw thank you, I a glad to know my work is a POS, at least I have the balls to try it my self...

tom - How many more times must I say it ... and I quote "I have been in the game for about 10 years" "I could learn a typical language in a bout a month"... So why do you say I can learn a language in 10 days when I have never once said that...

Guru - My apologies if I came off as if I was trying to "bash" you, the makers of opensource cms, or any other user... That was not the point I was trying to get at...

My point is, if you are going to use open source material, then what is wrong with someone submitting open source material just the same? I just think it is a little contradictive that you will use pre-made work to make the site, yet not allow anyone to submit pre-made work just the same...

For instance, here you don't put in the time to make the site yourself, yet if I want to put something up for the world to see, and hopefully benefit from... I must put the time into typing it all out? I can't just upload the tutorial I have had for some time that was written for the soul purpose of expanding knowledge just because I was not the one who wrote it?

My point was, if you are going to set some sort of expectation for your users, I personally think it is wise to at least meet that same level of expectation.

Seti - I was not trying to "beat" anyone up... I was just explaining my thoughts on the matter. And btw thank you, I a glad to know my work is a POS, at least I have the balls to try it my self...

tom - How many more times must I say it ... and I quote "I have been in the game for about 10 years" "I could learn a typical language in a bout a month"... So why do you say I can learn a language in 10 days when I have never once said that...

Guru - My apologies if I came off as if I was trying to "bash" you, the makers of opensource cms, or any other user... That was not the point I was trying to get at...

My point is, if you are going to use open source material, then what is wrong with someone submitting open source material just the same? I just think it is a little contradictive that you will use pre-made work to make the site, yet not allow anyone to submit pre-made work just the same...

For instance, here you don't put in the time to make the site yourself, yet if I want to put something up for the world to see, and hopefully benefit from... I must put the time into typing it all out? I can't just upload the tutorial I have had for some time that was written for the soul purpose of expanding knowledge just because I was not the one who wrote it?

My point was, if you are going to set some sort of expectation for your users, I personally think it is wise to at least meet that same level of expectation.

1st - If the tutorials aren't original.. and they are ANYWHERE else on the internet, it is copyright.

2nd - There is nothing more annoying than find the same tutorial over and over again on the internet when trying to learn something new.

3rd - I don't care if a user has already made the tutorial or not... as long as it's not anywhere else on the internet i'm ok with them submitting it.

For the LAST TIME - Just because the layout etc is pre-made does NOT mean that it contradicts original content.

Well submitting open source material would not be against copyright laws... If it is open source, it is open source... Just so long as you are not trying to make a monetary gain off of the work you did not do...

Though true it may be a bit annoying to find the same tutorial over and over... But is it any different to see the same tutorial just in different words? or a different tittle?

Just curios, why does it matter so much that the content is not all over the internet, but yet the design is?

My point was, if you are going to set some sort of expectation for your users, I personally think it is wise to at least meet that same level of expectation...

Well submitting open source material would not be against copyright laws... If it is open source, it is open source... Just so long as you are not trying to make a monetary gain off of the work you did not do...

Though true it may be a bit annoying to find the same tutorial over and over... But is it any different to see the same tutorial just in different words? or a different tittle?

Just curios, why does it matter so much that the content is not all over the internet, but yet the design is?

My point was, if you are going to set some sort of expectation for your users, I personally think it is wise to at least meet that same level of expectation...

Does anyone else want to try to explain to this guy my intentions?

the_cat_is_pushing_a_watermelon_out_of_a_lake.thumbnail.jpg

This isn't true. You can sell a peice of open-source software. Not a lot of it is sold but it can be. Most sites that have software like that have the option to buy or download.

Open source only means that you need to have the source code readily available to people. There is a lot that goes with some of the licenses, if you want to can google GLP and read more about it.

To the OP I think that you site has a nice look to it. I was doing a little looking at your forum. On your forums area, you have an Ubuntu banner in the Fedora section. I am happy that you have a linux banner period, but if you could make a Fedora one, or use the standard banner that would be great. That way people won't be confused.

Cheers!

You are the only one who can explain your intentions... Yes I understand you want to help expand the whole knowledge base for people... Honestly I like that, I am doing all of this, as to get a better understanding from you. I wouldn't mind doing some tutorials... But as I have stated before, I am just not sure if I would be willing to just yet... So here I am trying to pick at your brain so I have a better understanding of exactly what your wanting to do...
So if you think I don't understand, you are wrong...

Why does it matter so much that the content is not all over the internet, but yet it doesn't matter if the design is?

I mean seriously, you haven't even used an excuse for that yet... I know why people use open source material... I know why you would want the content original... But I don't know from your actual aspect as to why... Which is why I have said everything I have as a question from the get go...

wmorri - I know what the GPL is... It is actually a test subject in school... When you publish something as OpenSource (or in any way give the okay to freely distribute the work), that work can be distributed to anyone without any copyright infringement coming against you. The only way you can have any kind of infringement case upon you, is if you try to make money soully off the work that was not done by you, or one of whom works for you... In which case you can then use the copyright laws, to protect anyone from unlawfully using the work you, or one whom works for you, have done...
Also Copyright laws do not only apply to someone who has registered with the copyright offices... Copyright laws, are in effect as soon as the work is started... With or without any kind of publishing... You don't even have to openly advocate that you are using the protection of the copyright laws... So long has you have a hard copy of the work, you can claim copyright protection...

I think this may be what you're looking for as far as content.
Personal experiences.
What you needed.
Preparations.
Cost factors.
How you did it.
What problems you encountered along the way.
What you did to resolve them.
Performance after the fact.
Tuts by people that have had their hands on something and put it in their own words works far better than reading some dull white paper written by some twerp that has never had to do some any more complicated than make a pot of coffee.

Seti - That is exactly what my big problem with using pre-made websites is all about... Especially when that person tries to act like they know all about web design, yet don't actually have any wisdom on the matter... (please don't think that was directed to any distinct individual cause it wasn't)

This isn't true. You can sell a peice of open-source software. Not a lot of it is sold but it can be. Most sites that have software like that have the option to buy or download.

Open source only means that you need to have the source code readily available to people. There is a lot that goes with some of the licenses, if you want to can google GLP and read more about it.

To the OP I think that you site has a nice look to it. I was doing a little looking at your forum. On your forums area, you have an Ubuntu banner in the Fedora section. I am happy that you have a linux banner period, but if you could make a Fedora one, or use the standard banner that would be great. That way people won't be confused.

Cheers!

Ah! Thanks a bunch! The banner at the top actually randomly rotates between 3 different ones no matter where you are on the site. XD

I think this may be what you're looking for as far as content.
Personal experiences.
What you needed.
Preparations.
Cost factors.
How you did it.
What problems you encountered along the way.
What you did to resolve them.
Performance after the fact.
Tuts by people that have had their hands on something and put it in their own words works far better than reading some dull white paper written by some twerp that has never had to do some any more complicated than make a pot of coffee.

Worded perfectly. One question... Why is the registration at www.animeappeal.com disabled? QQ

You are the only one who can explain your intentions... Yes I understand you want to help expand the whole knowledge base for people... Honestly I like that, I am doing all of this, as to get a better understanding from you. I wouldn't mind doing some tutorials... But as I have stated before, I am just not sure if I would be willing to just yet... So here I am trying to pick at your brain so I have a better understanding of exactly what your wanting to do...
So if you think I don't understand, you are wrong...

Why does it matter so much that the content is not all over the internet, but yet it doesn't matter if the design is?

I mean seriously, you haven't even used an excuse for that yet... I know why people use open source material... I know why you would want the content original... But I don't know from your actual aspect as to why... Which is why I have said everything I have as a question from the get go...

wmorri - I know what the GPL is... It is actually a test subject in school... When you publish something as OpenSource (or in any way give the okay to freely distribute the work), that work can be distributed to anyone without any copyright infringement coming against you. The only way you can have any kind of infringement case upon you, is if you try to make money soully off the work that was not done by you, or one of whom works for you... In which case you can then use the copyright laws, to protect anyone from unlawfully using the work you, or one whom works for you, have done...
Also Copyright laws do not only apply to someone who has registered with the copyright offices... Copyright laws, are in effect as soon as the work is started... With or without any kind of publishing... You don't even have to openly advocate that you are using the protection of the copyright laws... So long has you have a hard copy of the work, you can claim copyright protection...

If you post ANYTHING on your site that is not under your copyright, your breaking the law. That is only part of the reason why I want original content. Unless of course, the other site permits it. Ex Joomla!, YouTube (you can use other peoples videos and even YouTubes bandwidth) ect.

Look here:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
http://boogiejack.com/copyband.html
http://mason.gmu.edu/~montecin/copyright-internet.htm

Oh! One more thing... <sarcasm> What do you think of this Forum!? I mean.. OMG! They're using vBulletin! How dare they! </sarcasm>

Oh! One more thing... <sarcasm> What do you think of this Forum!? I mean.. OMG! They're using vBulletin! How dare they! </sarcasm>
Good show!

The reason the reg is off is I plan to close the doors on May 2nd. I will create an account for you and PM the details later. I have to go to work now. Back on in 45 mins.

Back
Top Bottom