My own webserver

jpmasta12666

Baseband Member
So i have this website I did for my township. and i wanted to host it from my own personal server and put it on the internet how do i do this?

So i have this website I did for my township. and i wanted to host it from my own personal server and put it on the internet how do i do this?

If it's just a small website that not many people will access at a time, you can set it up on a spare computer in your house. Assuming that computer already has Windows installed, you can install something like WAMP that you install and it basically turns that computer into a web server.

Once you have that setup, you have to setup port forwarding on your router to forward any traffic on port 80 to that specific port. Then you would distribute your router's public IP address to people and when they type that address into their browser, it will bring them to your page.

There are a few problems and pitfalls doing this though. One is that your ISP may have a clause in their TOS stating that you aren't allowed to host a website on their connection. In that case, you're basically forced to use a hosting provider.
Assuming you're allowed to host a website, you would need a static IP address. Right now you probably have a dynamic IP (which means it can change at any time, so obviously that isn't good if you give it out). To get a static IP, you would need to contact your ISP and ask for one, which they might charge extra for.
Then you would need to get a domain name (unless you're OK with giving out an IP address as your website), and I think you would have to set it up differently to forward to your IP.

That being said, I'd suggest just buying a cheap hosting plan. Some places you can get one for around $5 to $10 a month and many include a domain name, and they have everything set up and ready for your site to be uploaded. Plus, if your house loses power, your website wont go down.

Can you create a server with a programmign language for example java?

Umm.. Technically, you could create server software in Java if you really wanted to, but that's a LOT of work just to get a website hosted on the internet.
No need to reinvent the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom