How can you make a website that can upload files?

UKTone

Beta member
I want to make a website that can upload files for my use on the website and for users. How would I do that? I want my website to be somewhat similar to http://www.mediafire.com/ but a lot less pricey to go pro/premium.

Firstly, I would suggest you to have at the very minimum of 10TB worth of space... Secondly, unless you have like a huge server, your going to have to suffice with maintaining named pipes, and automating those named pipes... Also for a file hosting service, your not going to want to use Windows, you would probably want to use Linux, or Unix, or even BSD... This way allocating and automating all that space will be much easier... I do hope you have a good working knowledge of either Php, Python, or Perl (though you can also do it with ASP, or possibly VBscript)...

Now if your thinking of just doing it for yourself and a few friends, well then you won't need as many resources of course, not to mention a real fast connection... I would recommend having at least a 52Mbps connection(which of course isn't cheap), though in the absolute beginning you could suffice with say a 10Mbps, though 20Mbps will last for a good amount of time, unless you just get a crap load of people on there...

I say 10 terabytes because, if he is going to host files, then space is what he needs... Granted of course you get could get away with less, but for a good standing point to start with, and to not have to worry about expanding sooner rather then later (as well as having to re-write anything). For instance, if you allocated 2GB per person for free (as the exampled site does), if you have simply 1000 people that use that free service, that right there is nearly 2TB (1.95 TB), so with 10TB, he could support ruffly around 10,000 people before having no choice but to expand the space he has... Now of course he could split that allocated size down by half and double his potential with the same amount of space... Honestly, if it were I who was deciding to do this, I wouldn't start with less then 50TB...

Also, 10 terabytes is not that hard to come about... Would cost about $1,300 if you bought just 1TB HDDs... Haven't seen prices for bigger spaced HDDs...
Baracuda Sata 1.5TB is $159.99 (1TB for $129.99)
Western Digital 1TB $104.99-$114.99 (2TB for $269.99)

My philosophy (in terms of storage space) is to buy what you need when you need it. Initially when you first get started, if you have 10TB you won't use it. If you buy all 10 TB at once, you'll be killing the hdd's lifespans. If you buy the space as you need it, not only will you increase the lifespan of the drives, but you will save money as the price will go down in-between purchases. It will also give you time to grow into your size, just make sure you have a scalable solution.

Are you also wanting to know what the code would be like to get it done? Essentially you're question is a bit broad since a file-upload and hosting website is a rather large scope. Perhaps if you could be more specific about what you need to accomplish next (are you hosting or are you paying for hosting, what volume of traffic do you expect [this will determine your connection speed], etc...)

Let us know a bit more and I'm sure we can help a lot more.

Places like that own their own servers and the software is custom written.
If you try to pull that off using paid hosting you're going to be outside of your TOS in a heartbeat. Meaning your bandwidth usage will be out of this world.
If you try to do that from home forget it. Your connection couldn't handle the traffic.

Plus if it's used to redistribute pirated software it's your ass that will get hung at the end of the day.

A wise person once said that if you do not look at all sides of a question, you will invariably come to the wrong conclusion.

I say 10 terabytes because, if he is going to host files, then space is what he needs... Granted of course you get could get away with less, but for a good standing point to start with, and to not have to worry about expanding sooner rather then later (as well as having to re-write anything). For instance, if you allocated 2GB per person for free (as the exampled site does), if you have simply 1000 people that use that free service, that right there is nearly 2TB (1.95 TB), so with 10TB, he could support ruffly around 10,000 people before having no choice but to expand the space he has... Now of course he could split that allocated size down by half and double his potential with the same amount of space... Honestly, if it were I who was deciding to do this, I wouldn't start with less then 50TB...

Also, 10 terabytes is not that hard to come about... Would cost about $1,300 if you bought just 1TB HDDs... Haven't seen prices for bigger spaced HDDs...
Baracuda Sata 1.5TB is $159.99 (1TB for $129.99)
Western Digital 1TB $104.99-$114.99 (2TB for $269.99)
You seem to be suggesting that he host it from home. Do you know how big his bandwidth pipe would need to be?

Back
Top Bottom