WinExplorer error in XP Home

reniewtech

Beta member
Whenever I open Windows Explorer and try to right-click, I get an error message of "Windows Explorer has performed an illegal operation and must close." I have tried to use the tool bar up top, but even when I click Edit, I get the same error.

So therefore, I cannot delete, copy, cut, paste, or anything from the right-click menu. Is there a way to fix this error without completely re-formatting or re-installing WinXP?

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I would first try to run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking and try right-clicking on anything and using the shortcut menu. If you still get the same issue, try scanning for spyware and viruses with your favorite programs, if you find anything, try the above again. The bad news is that Explorer is imbedded into Windows, as it's the main shell, so reinstallation may be necessary. Before I did a reformat and reinstall, I would check computer management event viewer and see if there is any indications in there. Also Google the error and see what you get, you may get lucky. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom