Windows XP: Home, Media Centre, Pro... Differences?

Toby1

Daemon Poster
My older brother just brought a new Dell 9100... comes with Windows XP Home. 2.8 Intel Dual Core, Has 1 Gig of RAM, a 160 Gig Hard Drive, he's getting ADSL, has Dual DVD Burners, etc. He asked me if XP Pro or Media Centre is any better/would make much difference compared to XP Media Centre or Pro... I said that for what he uses the computer for (Internet, Music/DVD, some basic graphics stuff with photoshop) he'd only need XP Home and besides that, that when you install SP2 on Home it basically is the same as XP Pro... is this right?

Has anyone got a more detailed explination of the differences between XP Home, Media Centre, and Pro?

Thanks.

ok i read the links but they focus on XP home and pro. what about media Center? i'm trying to decide on what to get myself (i'm going between Pro and media center) so this is a good question.

oh yeah i must mention that i'm choosing this for a gaming rig.

Okay, if you want to to record telly and stuff, go with MC, if you want to be able to host websites and stuff, and have a cool name, get Pro. I would choose Pro, personally.

i would also choose pro. media centre is for media related things such as tele and stuff. pro is for more professional things like networking, etc. it really depends what he wants... does he want to be able to watch tele easily (with correct hardware), better media support, etc... or does he want a more advanced os? both os's are simular and can nearly do the same things but each one does some stuff better than the other one.

Back
Top Bottom