windows xp

starsangls49

Solid State Member
hello,
I am not very literate in computers. I have a dell dimension l1000r, 256mb ram, 1ghz clock speed, 80gig hd. my question, and concern is, two nights ago, my computer would not cut off, even though, I pushed the button to cut it off, everytime, I tried to cut it off, it rebooted, my husband and I, finally pull the power cord, and it quit doing the rebooting. now it is, not wanting to go into windows, unless, I hit the del, botton on my keyboard, then windows boots, what could be making it do this.

thank you,
wanda

cut it off....you mean shut down windows? well, this could be a # of things. you could try a shutdown patch from the Microsoft.com

that should do the trick, if not it will take some hunting on this one: you can do a defrag of your hard drive in safe mode.

that might staighten out the problem:to do the defrag
just keep hitting the f8 key right after you see your computer logo.

then scroll up to safe mode without networking.then click start/ all programs/accessories/system tools/ and click on defrag.....hope this helps.

hi,
thank you for trying to help. maybe I can explain it better this time, when I turn on my computer, the windows xp trademark appears on the screen, then instead of booting to windows, a black screen comes up, with information about my computer, it says cdrw, the model of my computer, and a few other bits of information, then at the bottom of the screen, it says type del, to resume, I type del, then it boots into windows, it has never done this before. hope you might be able to give me more answers.

thank you,
wanda

ok, i understand what your saying now....well you could check the configuration's in the startup menu & bios.

to check to start up menu : click start/run/ type "msconfig" without the quotes....go to the tab startup

check to see if anything is not configured right. then if all is good, you can check the bios settings.

to get to bios, depending on what comp. make it is:

this link will help you get into your bios :HERE

I have Windows XP home edition and I want to completely get rid of it so I can reinstall it, is this possible and if so how can I do it??

Yes, this is very possible, but when you install a fresh copy it will erase all files you had on it before.

To do this just startup comp. w/the cd that has the driver's on it.

then you use option 1 to erase all files, & make a new
partition. it's all automatic so no worries.

then after re-boot, go to option 2, then it will ask for the Windows xp cd.....that's it.

this will restore windows on your comp. & the best part is that you won't have to activate windows from Microsoft.

Back
Top Bottom