windows update

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
yo,

Just re-cased and put a new (well, newer) harddrive in this old PC I got from my brother since I just built him a new one.

Tried to put Win10 straight on it, wasn't having any of it. Managed to get 7 on there but now it won't update. Windows update just sticks on 'checking for updates...' seemingly forever. Tried every tweak, FixIt and such that I can find on Technet, no dice. Found an update that claims to fix this issue with updating, but before the standalone updater will run it says it's checking for updates on the system, where it times out and fails. Tried forcing Win10 onto the machine from microsoft's website, this also has a stage where it says 'checking for updates...' and hangs.

any ideas? Seems like every fix for updates failing requires you to do an update... which fails :lol:

The current OS is Win7 Pro x64 (valid and activated with valid OEM product key).

Have you tried installing the patch that is supposed to fix the updates issue without the computer being connected to the internet?

Managed to get the fix to install, but it didn't fix the update issue it was supposed to fix!

Anyway, to get around the problem in a round-about sort of way... (i didn't really want to put Win10 on it yet really) I force-updated it to Windows 10 from a memory stick I had lying around with the Win10 install media on it.

Not ideal but it'll do, I suppose MS are forcing us all onto 10 gradually anyway

I put 10 on my gaming laptop and its a great os. I love that it starts so much faster than 8.1 did as it is the computer I use to watch prime on the bedroom tv, so fast start is nice there.

Back
Top Bottom