Windows just wont load anymore

2004ep3hatch

Solid State Member
Hey guys

Well I did search and really could not find anything for my problem. Yesterday I ran a routine disk cleanup in the system tools. My computer then froze after about 30mins. There was alot to be cleaned up.

I reset the PC and since then it loads up to a screen that askes me if i want to start in safe mode. I can't use my keyboard so it counts down the 30 seconds and then starts up. The windows xp logo comes next with the line moving underneath it like It's supposed to. After about 2 seconds it stops and resets it's self and dose the same thing over and over and over LOL.

It's as if I'm restarting the computer every 10 seconds in total time. I have no idea how to fix it. Dose anyone know what I'm trying to talk about? I hope so.

Any help is much appreciated

I have a shuttle xpc with windows XP service pack3

We get this a lot at work. Sometimes it's down to bad sectors on the hard drive. If you know the brand, you can usually download a diagnostic utility (for example, SeaTools for Seagate drives) that will scan and possibly repair any bad sectors. When it works, it saves us having to re-image a machine. The downside is, it doesn't always work.

What kind of drive do you have?

Hey man

I believe it is a western digital 200g sata HD. The thing is i can't even get my computer to run the windows CD to run anymore. It's like the pc went into full lockdown. We put the windows recovery CD to see if i can fix it but it wont read the cd. I can't even reload windows in the pc if i wanted too. How would i run a utility then? Is it possible something happened to the cd drive as well causing it not to read anything? A bios thing. I do know a little bit, but not much.

I should have bought a mac!

Hey man

I believe it is a western digital 200g sata HD. The thing is i can't even get my computer to run the windows CD to run anymore. It's like the pc went into full lockdown. We put the windows recovery CD to see if i can fix it but it wont read the cd. I can't even reload windows in the pc if i wanted too. How would i run a utility then? Is it possible something happened to the cd drive as well causing it not to read anything? A bios thing. I do know a little bit, but not much.

Are you making sure that the computer is set to boot from the CD-ROM in the BIOS? You need to make sure that it's set as the first boot device (unless your BIOS has a boot menu option (usually F12)).

I should have bought a mac!

No, you shouldn't have :p

Are you making sure that the computer is set to boot from the CD-ROM in the BIOS? You need to make sure that it's set as the first boot device (unless your BIOS has a boot menu option (usually F12)).

No, you shouldn't have :p

Yes is it set, my brother is pretty good with this stuff so he is helping me out. Ok what exactly happens is it will read the CD then ask if want to install windows or repair it.

Either one i chosse it then goes to a blue screen and on the bottom is checking 194,000MB 0 of scanned of 0 of somthing else. forget what it says. It stays like that and then just sits.

Its like it says I quite lol

I did make a mistake. It dose read the disk, it just dies of after i tell it to reinstall or repair. MY fault for that. Its almost as if there is no more HD to check. It stays at 0 and never moves.

Thanks for bearing with me on this.

Also, my freind has had macs for years and never once had a single problem! No bs. But i know things happen. I love windows but i have lots of problems and this one is not the killer it seems like.

Yes is it set, my brother is pretty good with this stuff so he is helping me out. Ok what exactly happens is it will read the CD then ask if want to install windows or repair it.

Either one i chosse it then goes to a blue screen and on the bottom is checking 194,000MB 0 of scanned of 0 of somthing else. forget what it says. It stays like that and then just sits.

Its like it says I quite lol

I did make a mistake. It dose read the disk, it just dies of after i tell it to reinstall or repair. MY fault for that. Its almost as if there is no more HD to check. It stays at 0 and never moves.

Thanks for bearing with me on this.

Also, my freind has had macs for years and never once had a single problem! No bs. But i know things happen. I love windows but i have lots of problems and this one is not the killer it seems like.

So the CD-ROM drive does seem to be working. Again, this points to bad sectors on the hard drive. If your drive is indeed a Western Digital, try downloading DataLifeGuard for DOS and running it to see if there are any problems with the drive.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=53&lang=en

If you want to be on the safe side (and you have a floppy drive) you could try downloading the floppy version to avoid any CD-ROM issues, but I do think this is a hard drive problem based on the evidence.

Ok I will do this. All this from doing a routine disk clean tho? It was fine for the last couple years. ok let me download this and see what happens. ill get back to you. thanks alot. check this thread lol.

Ok I will do this. All this from doing a routine disk clean tho? It was fine for the last couple years. ok let me download this and see what happens. ill get back to you. thanks alot. check this thread lol.

It's something that happens over time. Where I work, the older and more heavily-used computers are the ones that suffer from it more often. It's just one of those things (it's even happened to my office computer before now and that thing is rock-solid!). But yeah, let me know how things go. Hopefully it'll give you some information that will help the situation. :)

Ok well my brother ran this. hirens bootcd 9.8. He ran a test on my hard drive. There were no bad sectors. It checked all 190,000mb without a problem. So what dose that mean now?

I hope we can figure this out lol, I have never had this problem in my life with a computer before.

In it he ran HDD regenerator 1.51 to be exact. this program has lots of different tools to use.

Just for the hell of it... I would try taking out your CMOS battery and disconnect your power cord and let it sit for 2-5 minutes.
Reinsert the battery, connect the power cord, and reboot.

This may help or it may not do anything to help.
It's just.. It sounds like a bios problem to me.. The bios not correctly starting or something of that matter. Since you checked the hard drive that is..

EDIT: Btw.. No.. You shouldn't have gotten a mac..

Back
Top Bottom