Windows 8

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
Well, I tried it out for the first time today, on a high-end Samsung laptop in Currys.

All in all, with all factors considered; i hated it.

What?! Why?! Why do this Microsoft. I want the Start button back, and whats this App Store crap? Having to click a button to go to the desktop, and having the FTSE 100 Index on the 'home screen', real useful.

Shot themselves in the balls once again. On the other hand OS 10 Mountain Lion looks awesome.

OT: Why did Microsoft think that turning Windows Mobile into a desktop/laptop OS would be a good idea? It was awful on a phone and its awful on a laptop.

Apparently M$ decided it was time for a "one size fits all" OS. Hoping that the world will adopt the same OS for their cell phone, PC, tablet, etc.

The only place I see viable for Win8 is a tablet, or a PC with a touch screen. Even then, I wouldn't want to give up Android 4.0.3 that's on my tablet right now. Ice Cream Sandwich is slick, smooooth, and fast, and is more configurable, faster, with less taps than Win8.

I showed my mother Windows 8. She saw the new Start Screen and I launched the desktop. I then asked her to get back to the Start Screen. She has yet to figure it out.

Once you click on the desktop, metro goes away and you have dual desktop screens. Metro can also launch on either screen, but there is no simultaneous.

I see what you're saying, once you click on the 2nd display, both screens switch to desktop mode. I don't have 8 so I didn't try it, I was just going by what he showed in the video.

Regardless, it's an option if someone would be interested in it.

Apparently M$ decided it was time for a "one size fits all" OS. Hoping that the world will adopt the same OS for their cell phone, PC, tablet, etc.

The only place I see viable for Win8 is a tablet, or a PC with a touch screen. Even then, I wouldn't want to give up Android 4.0.3 that's on my tablet right now. Ice Cream Sandwich is slick, smooooth, and fast, and is more configurable, faster, with less taps than Win8.
That is the problem......"one size fits all" OS.

Won't work properly and going by MS reputation just watch the updates keep pouring out to fix the never ending glitches.

I think there have been a number of these threads and yes it seems the majority say it's just nto going to work.

I can;t work without a start button and i don't care if you can "hack" it to get it back, i shouldnt have to.

Also i was completely lost as to where the "All Programs" were, and my documents or "Documents" for that matter. The whole thing quite simply baffled me.

I have it dual booted with my Win 7 jus to take a look and i've been on it 3 or 4 times in the last 2 months.

Honestly, I've used it at work for a whole day. By the end of the day I had no trouble finding what I need and doing my job without issues. I really don't think it's that bad. And I'll *hopefully* be getting some kind of hybrid laptop and that will really take advantage of the OS and all it's features. I agree that there will be things on the touchscreen that you just can't do easily with a keyboard and mouse and it's certainly not going to be for everyone but having given it an honest chance...I find it to be an acceptable OS - especially once you have a touch screen to use with it.

Just in case anyone is interested - which based on all the negative opinions here no one probably is - here's a CNet link to all the available new "hybrid" devices: Windows 8: The complete new PC launch list | Crave - CNET

Back
Top Bottom