Windows 7 Student Upgrade

Thato1

Beta member
Before I graduated this spring I picked up a student upgrade copy for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

My current OS is XP professional 32-bit. I'm building a new computer with all new hardware and plan on doing a clean install. I'm fairly new to building a totally new computer and the tech people from the school told me I would install XP, then use the CD to upgrade to windows 7.

My question: In the end would my computer run better having a new version of windows 7 vs. XP upgrade to windows 7? If using the 'upgrade' route is going to bog my computer down I'd be tempted to just get a full copy of windows 7.

I don't think you're going to see a performance difference by going clean install vs. XP Upgrade. Save some money and go the upgrade route.

My reason for saying the upgrade shouldn't show a noticeable difference in performance is, I upgraded from Vista to Win7 and it was honestly the best installation that I've had, had it for a while before I had to resintall due to doing stupid stuff in the registry :rolleyes: among other things...

Infection, thanks for the input and fast response. You did the same with my other thread :D

You can't upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You would have to install Vista Ultimate 64 bit in order to be able to use the upgrade you have.

Back
Top Bottom