Windows 7 OEM or Retail

real

Beta member
Hey guys,

I want to know whether or not I should buy Windows 7 Home Premium OEM. I want to install it on a computer I've had for around 4 or 5 years. The following is the link:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

If you go the Details tab, and then the Disclamer, it states the following:

This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale.

Does this mean I would have to buy the retail version?

Also, I think I don't want to buy Windows 8 because the computer is not touch screen.

:Edit: I'm really sorry I posted this in the Hardware Section, noticed too late the "Software and Operating Systems" section.

Last edited:
You will be able to install it just fine however read these posts to get a better understanding between Retail and OEM

Hey guys,

I want to know whether or not I should buy Windows 7 Home Premium OEM. I want to install it on a computer I've had for around 4 or 5 years. The following is the link:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

If you go the Details tab, and then the Disclamer, it states the following:

Does this mean I would have to buy the retail version?

Also, I think I don't want to buy Windows 8 because the computer is not touch screen.

:Edit: I'm really sorry I posted this in the Hardware Section, noticed too late the "Software and Operating Systems" section.

The difference is support for software, Retail means Microsoft will give you 100% support where OEM means the company who installed the software is liable for your support.

Back
Top Bottom