Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default windows

Here i go again. Ok, The different drivers for this board need to be erased when i do the new board. What else do i need to erase. I know the video drivers and audio drivers have to go, What else do i need to remove. In windows 10 can i do that to or is it more of a pain? How about the bios? anything for it in Windows i need to change or remove?? Just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: windows

Format and do a clean installation of windows, assuming that board is supported hardware.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Is that the only way?? I read somewhere that you could remove all the drivers from the old board and then shut down and when you start up the new board it would install the new drivers and software needed. Can't remember where i saw it now. Sure would make it alot better than having to redo all the software. Now if i could remember where i saw that article.....
Old 05-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

If you change boards you have to reinstall. Different chipset also means reactivating Windows.
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

O'Joy!!! That Sucks!!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
O'Joy!!! That Sucks!!!!
Not for Windows
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
Format and do a clean installation of windows, assuming that board is supported hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
Is that the only way?? I read somewhere that you could remove all the drivers from the old board and then shut down and when you start up the new board it would install the new drivers and software needed. Can't remember where i saw it now. Sure would make it alot better than having to redo all the software. Now if i could remember where i saw that article.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
If you change boards you have to reinstall. Different chipset also means reactivating Windows.
Actually...

SYSPREP is a hell of a drug.
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
3xSceptre E255B-1658A 24.5" 165Hz + NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX 19" (in 3+1 configuration)
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:26 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

It is not just Windows activation, chipsets' and controllers' drivers (not just video and audio drivers) of different boards often make conflicts that cause BSOD or serious instability including those mistaken for normal Windows problems that refuse to be fixed no matter what.

Windows activation is not really that big of a problem. It can be taken care of easily. It happened to me once and all I did was call MS and get it resolved within minutes.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
Windows activation is not really that big of a problem. It can be taken care of easily. It happened to me once and all I did was call MS and get it resolved within minutes.
So you don't have to buy a new license when changing chipsets?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:29 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
So you don't have to buy a new license when changing chipsets?
Nope, I don't. At least when I replaced my burned mobo 3 years ago and reinstalled Windows 7 on it all I had to do was call MS and give them some number on the DVD's case to confirm my ownership when Windows refused to accept the key.

True story.

Wait, maybe that only applies to physical copies with cases? Or may be...

Man, you're giving me ideas now. What if this does not work with the upgraded Windows 10 over that copy of Windows 7 ?

Old 05-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Nope, I don't. At least when I replaced my burned mobo 3 years ago and reinstalled Windows 7 on it all I had to do was call MS and give them some number on the DVD's case to confirm my ownership when Windows refused to accept the key.

True story.

Wait, maybe that only applies to physical copies with cases? Or may be...

Man, you're giving me ideas now. What if this does not work with the upgraded Windows 10 over that copy of Windows 7 ?

But when you replaced the motherboard you used the same chipset, right? Or did you change it?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

No, it was different. Previous one was an i5 750 board and the new one was an i5 3570K board. Dunno what the chip set names are but they are different of course.

Old one burned because of bad over clocking

You know what, could it be my luck that who helped me was a nice lady and she felt my charms (or something)? Or maybe at the time rules were different? But this is MS, why would they give some special treatment?

Ah, please disregard what I said about this unless what happened with me was part of the MS's rules that hasn't changed since then.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

Quote:
No, it was different. Previous one was an i5 750 board and the new one was an i5 3570K board. Dunno what the chip set names are but they are different of course.

Old one burned because of bad over clocking

You know what, could it be my luck that who helped me was a nice lady and she felt my charms (or something)? Or maybe at the time rules were different? But this is MS, why would they give some special treatment?

Ah, please disregard what I said about this unless what happened with me was part of the MS's rules that hasn't changed since then.
Not sure really. I'm used to buying pre-build PCs. My only custom one is the one I have right now so I've never gone through that. I read somewhere that's how it worked but I can't confirm.