Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.
Posts: 10
Default Win 10 first impressions

I let the upgrade do its thing a few days ago and after a VERY long time it was done. It was a pretty cool, seamless upgrade and it appears to be 100% functional. In the couple of days running it I have yet to find a piece of legacy software that doesn't work. Also after dumping the Win7 backup files I have quite a bit more free space on my 250 gig drive than I did before the upgrade.


On the down side, MS clearly thinks that mimicking the phone / mobile paradigm with mobile related software or "bloatware" on a desktop PC is somehow important enough to clutter up the machine with. Add to that you cannot remove most of it or even the links in the start menu.


Having to hunt for simple pleasures and have them on the task bar like a volume control and having 1/4 of the task bar taken up with the "cortana" box on a PC without a mic (I bet most PC's still don't have a mic) is just plain silly.



As I said, so far it's 100% functional, kudos to MS, but the UI is straight out of GUI programming 101. It's like they tried to copy OS/2 :-)



Some ridicule folks that say it's ugly, OK it's fair to accept a plain vanilla UI, but to ridicule those who expected a bit more from a very mature company like MS is unfair.



As a species we ARE taken with appearances. Just about everything we buy has something aesthetically pleasing about it that compels us to buy and use it, and a UI is no different. Ask a Linux or Mac user if appearances are important see what you get. OK, their market share isn't huge, but betting your future on a 2d fuggly GUI without the ability to spruce it up is IMO a less than perfect tack for the future.



The bottom line is it stays, I ordered a spare drive to clone this one to, but just in case, I kept my Win 7 drive in a lock box in the event something comes up that seriously ruffles my feathers.
__________________

__________________
gnappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

The Cortana stuff can be disabled, and if the crapware annoys you, use CCleaner. You can uninstalled almost everything, including the Store.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

That's what I did, and this is by far the best Windows I've tried. And I'm glad the Windows 8 start was reverted back to the original menu, rather than the full-screen trash.
__________________

__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
The Candyman
 
~mr mixx~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,355
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

When I first upgraded my Windows 7 machine to Win 10, I didn't like the start menu and all the live tiles so I installed Classic Shell.

I really like how classic shell made the start menu look and feel like Windows 7

I am still a big fan of Windows 7.
__________________
" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.
Posts: 10
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~mr mixx~ View Post
When I first upgraded my Windows 7 machine to Win 10, I didn't like the start menu and all the live tiles so I installed Classic Shell.

I really like how classic shell made the start menu look and feel like Windows 7

I am still a big fan of Windows 7.

Yeah, me too but, after gaining so much HDD space and not losing any backward compatibility it is going to stay.



The only real minor complaints I have with it aside from having to big hammer remove bloatware is there are delays opening images, videos, and other programs that I had not experienced with 7. Also the "Do you want this app from an unknown publisher to..." is annoying and multiple ongoing requests could be avoided by recording the response in the registry or inf file to suppress it coming up regularly.



If you don't use legacy software it's likely not an issue.
__________________
gnappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,107
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

Cortana can be removed from the start bar, but the search index service was renamed as cortana, so it will look like it is still running. (I'm not a fan of that.)

I find that this is a step back (ish) to Windows seven. I hated the app screen of Windows 8 and 8.1 (I especially hated the charm bars etc, (especially as that interface was carried over to Windows 2012 and (slightly better on 2012r2) server editions.

Like I want a phone interface on a server FFS the especially when using RDP!

It can be a bit frustrating that certain things moved, (like now it is right click on an app, select "further options" run as administrator.) but there ar so few options on the main context menus and further options menu that They should have just been on a single menu...

I'm also not a fan, (and never have been even since XP!) of the stuff a bit like what I'm looking for, control panel.
I want control panel display. Not control panel, usability, display options, display settings or some such rubbish.
(OK that's just that I can't be bother d to think where things should be!)

I also dislike that safe mode hotkey (F5) during boot is disabled, in favour of pressing shift whilst clicking restart and selecting boot options. - Why? -because I rarely "plan" to use safe mode, it's usually a reaction to some crap breaking meaning I "can't" get to the normal and Windows desktop in order to restart in safe mode!
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
I'm also not a fan, (and never have been even since XP!) of the stuff a bit like what I'm looking for, control panel.
I want control panel display. Not control panel, usability, display options, display settings or some such rubbish.
(OK that's just that I can't be bother d to think where things should be!)
That's true. Finding the control panel is too hard. If I didn't know it existed, I would probably never see it, since the shortcutt to the app dissapeared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
I also dislike that safe mode hotkey (F5) during boot is disabled, in favour of pressing shift whilst clicking restart and selecting boot options. - Why? -because I rarely "plan" to use safe mode, it's usually a reaction to some crap breaking meaning I "can't" get to the normal and Windows desktop in order to restart in safe mode!
That's pretty smart. You should email Microsoft right now!
__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
crazyman143's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,963
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

I expect Control Panel will be gone soon, and we'll have to jump through more hoops to find all the same applets via 'Settings' but in a way that's more difficult.
__________________
crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,107
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
That's true. Finding the control panel is too hard. If I didn't know it existed, I would probably never see it, since the shortcutt to the app dissapeared.

That's pretty smart. You should email Microsoft right now!
if you cut power half way through boot about 5 times in a row it eventually "detects that there may be an issue" and gives you options to enter safe mode...
not nearly as much fun as smashing F9 (not F5, that was the old windows 95 hotkey!) repeatedly.


The control panel thing, I wouldn't mind so much, except they nailed it 22 years ago in windows 95, control panel, clearly labelled shortcuts to get to where you want. an interface option so good that they kept the ability to change to that view for two decades. - all this stuff feels like a step backwards.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.
Posts: 10
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

Well, I come to find I have no write access to files on my root directory I previously had on Win7. After reading and following dozens of fixes on answers.microsoft.com I cannot fix it. WHY in the hell would MS do this?
__________________
gnappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 498
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
Well, I come to find I have no write access to files on my root directory I previously had on Win7. After reading and following dozens of fixes on answers.microsoft.com I cannot fix it. WHY in the hell would MS do this?
Sandboxing I assume. Keep the ID10t's from messing with things they shouldn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Cortana can be removed from the start bar, but the search index service was renamed as cortana, so it will look like it is still running. (I'm not a fan of that.)
Ok, so that's why i keep killing cortana and she just won't die. That's a really stupid change.

also, iirc mashing F8 will put you into the screen to select safe mode at post.



Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
The control panel thing, I wouldn't mind so much, except they nailed it 22 years ago in windows 95, control panel, clearly labelled shortcuts to get to where you want. an interface option so good that they kept the ability to change to that view for two decades. - all this stuff feels like a step backwards.
I EFFING HATE the fact that half of the control panel options are now in a settings app for noobs. There needs to be a check box or a test or something during windows installation that says: i'm a power user/administrator, please don't treat me like an idiot and lock down everything.
__________________
CPU: Ryzen 1700 GPU: MSI R9 480 4GB
RAM: 16gb DDR4 Disk: 128SSD + 2x1TB
Power: 750w asus prime b350m-a uatx mobo
Cortb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.
Posts: 10
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

So I guess like linux they keep the huge number of sentient users in frustration to keep Eejits from shooting themselves in the foot.

Yup, 4 way stop signs, 15mph school zones, 70% passing grade on the driver's test, automatic door locks... keep them safe.

Windows 7 never had any surprises, I refuse to continue to hunt down other fixes for "improvements" I find, I'm out of that and back to 7. I am Soooo glad I didn't pay for that junk! Even for free I should bill them for my time wasted.
__________________
gnappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,556
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

You can download a simple registry edit/hack which can disable Cortana.

How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update - How To Geek
__________________
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 AM   #13
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.
Posts: 10
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

I don't think there is a registry hack to get my bluetooth adapter working, or my USB 3.0 PCI card working, or enable CD ripping again? The more I played with it the more I saw I couldn't tolerate losing what I lost for gaining a bit more disk space.
__________________
gnappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:11 AM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

I had the problem that I don't have write access to my root folder... Seems to be random. Every time I install Win10 something different happens regarding this issue. I don't know why it happens or how to fix it, and all the crap online doesn't help.
__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 498
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
I don't think there is a registry hack to get my bluetooth adapter working, or my USB 3.0 PCI card working, or enable CD ripping again? The more I played with it the more I saw I couldn't tolerate losing what I lost for gaining a bit more disk space.
The first two things sound like driver issues, usually they work with the older windows 7 drivers. and afaik cd ripping is still doable in windows 10, are you really unable to rip cds?
__________________
CPU: Ryzen 1700 GPU: MSI R9 480 4GB
RAM: 16gb DDR4 Disk: 128SSD + 2x1TB
Power: 750w asus prime b350m-a uatx mobo
Cortb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,674
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

I would contact the mfr of your devices that don't work and ask them if they have drivers available and if not, why not? It really should be on the mfr's shoulder to make their products compatible, not on MS to ensure compatibility.

What software are you using to rip CDs? Have you tried different software?
__________________
strollin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #17
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.
Posts: 10
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

As the upgrade destination I used my Win7 backup drive. Once I found out that I'd continue to unmask new things that stopped working I formatted the drive and used it to get my live Win7 drive back.

And yes I couldn't rip CD's, I have used media player for years and wasn't about to start hunting Win7 happy software, drivers and hardware to get back where I was before I downloaded Win10, that's a deal breaker for me.



Another REALLY annoying thing was my Firefox would not open a new tab in foreground when I opened one up I had a second operation to click to get the new tab to the front. Minor yes, but annoying.


---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
I would contact the mfr of your devices that don't work and ask them if they have drivers available and if not, why not? It really should be on the mfr's shoulder to make their products compatible, not on MS to ensure compatibility.

What software are you using to rip CDs? Have you tried different software?

Sorry, I disagree. MS can and should be able to use existing drivers. Suppose a maker went out of business?



It's ALWAYS been better to buy a brand new system with a new MS O/S release than upgrade, 10 was no exception, in this case I just saw no benefit to keeping something I had to struggle with... to what end? Just to have a new O/S? Nah, goodbye Win10
__________________
gnappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,107
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

[QUOTE=gnappi;12189946]Sorry, I disagree. MS can and should be able to use existing drivers. Suppose a maker went out of business? [/qoute] sometimes that isn't possible, an unbelievable amount of sound cards, (and midi related software,) broke on the advent of Windows 2000, with ring0 dll and no direct hardware access.
Sometimes it's not just a case of a manufacturer using some other API call as the e hating API call does not exist, and nothing like it exists, and despite the fact that it rendered hundreds worth of hardware useless, that is actually a good thing.


Quote:
It's ALWAYS been better to buy a brand new system with a new MS O/S release than upgrade
Nah, Windows 10 is a steaming turd regardless of whether you upgrade of get it pre-installed.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,107
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortb View Post
also, iirc mashing F8 will put you into the screen to select safe mode at post
Nope, disabled, why, to get a faster boot. -you see this is what happens when technical direction of a multinational company starts getting set by a bunch of but hurt fanboys who complain that Linux boots faster. (Yeah to command prompt, but we'll just ignore that) or Nac gets to desktop faster (but we'll ignore the spinner than means that you cannot actially use anything for a while.)

You need to use BCDedit with a set legacy boot switch (and delay the boot time by a whole second (or less) to get this (really damned useful) functionality back.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #20
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Default Re: Win 10 first impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Nope, disabled, why, to get a faster boot. -you see this is what happens when technical direction of a multinational company starts getting set by a bunch of but hurt fanboys who complain that Linux boots faster. (Yeah to command prompt, but we'll just ignore that) or Nac gets to desktop faster (but we'll ignore the spinner than means that you cannot actially use anything for a while.)
I've always had worse boot times with Ubuntu, Mint and Debian, and many other distros, including Arch-based like Manjaro.
__________________

__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×