What Linux would be good for me?

dangerousbeme

In Runtime
I've been trying to find a good Linux distro, but I've been having some troubles. What would you guys suggest as a good distro for someone who doesn't have much experience with Linux, and that looks nice?

Also, I just found out about Cedega, which looks pretty cool. However, will I be able to run games as well with it as I do with Windows?

If I where you, I would download Knoppix, Ubuntu, and Mepis. Burn the "live" cd for each. This will give you the opportunity to boot to these and play with them a bit, before you choose to install. The great thing about Linux is it is open source, and there is plenty of step-by-step how tos out there, just google what you're looking for.

Get Fedora or Ubuntu. Both of those are easy to use.

After you learn more about Linux, switch to Slackware. You will learn even more.

Also I do not believe Cedega is a distro; just a program to run windows programs on Linux....

Ubuntu is fairly user friendly (much like windows). It's great for people who don't know much about using Linux.

I'm new to Linux as well....and what are these names refering to? Is one better than the other? Where can I obtain a copy?
I am interested in installing Linux on my box.

Try2Live4God said:
I'm new to Linux as well....and what are these names refering to? Is one better than the other? Where can I obtain a copy?
I am interested in installing Linux on my box.

You can download any version of Linux for free. Keep in mind that the ISO images are usually around 650MB, so even with a high-speed connection, you're looking at some time to download them. The names are the different distros of Linux- and there are many, many, many of them. I would suggest for anyone wanting to experiment, to download all the "live" versions first, and then look for the install ISO.

Alright I couldn't get my Knoppix LiveCD to work but fortunataly Unbuntu worked just fine. I thought it was cool, however the theme was a little bland.

Do themes have to be designed for each individual distro, and do you know where could I find them?

Answers for all your questions regarding Linux are widely available on the net.
I believe you can change themes, but don't quote me on it ;)
I use Ubuntu also, on a dual boot with XP Pro. I haven't been able to play with it much, but once I get a chance to see, I'll let you know.

Ubuntu is based of Debian is which already fairly hard to learn!

If you get Ubuntu, you're going to have to download Mp3 codecs and video codecs to play your favorite files. Everything you basically need will have to be downloaded (which is why it's one CD).

You're also going to have to rely on the Ubuntu forums heavily because Ubuntu takes a bit to configure and understand.

I recommend Suse because it's much easier to use than Ubuntu. It also comes prepackaged with a lot of what you need, includng Mp3 playback.

Back
Top Bottom