VLC Player Useful Features

Interesting article. I wasn't aware of a lot of those features in VLC even though I have used it as a media player for years.

If you want to convert files, I recommend handbrake
It actually uses the vlc codecs,but gives you a much better interface with more options.

Windows also has a feature called "dreamscene" to run video files as you desktop background. You need to run a quick program to reenable it in windows seven, but it'll be fine after that. It's probably better than having an extra third party program running.

VLC is pretty well known for being able to do pretty much anything. However, there really isn't very much that it does well. Even video playback is mediocre quality, and the performance is pretty terrible compared to other programs.

Interesting article. I wasn't aware of a lot of those features in VLC even though I have used it as a media player for years.

Yes same here.

If you want to convert files, I recommend handbrake
It actually uses the vlc codecs,but gives you a much better interface with more options.

Windows also has a feature called "dreamscene" to run video files as you desktop background. You need to run a quick program to reenable it in windows seven, but it'll be fine after that. It's probably better than having an extra third party program running.

VLC is pretty well known for being able to do pretty much anything. However, there really isn't very much that it does well. Even video playback is mediocre quality, and the performance is pretty terrible compared to other programs.

Ah ok, I've used other 3rd party converters but haven't used handbrake before.

Is dreamscene disabled by default in windows 7 but is included?

I like because it's better than Windows Media Player and you need to have multiple media players to play different files that another one can't. I've found some videos won't play the best.

Is dreamscene disabled by default in windows 7 but is included?

Pretty much. http://www.dreamsceneseven.com/

I like because it's better than Windows Media Player and you need to have multiple media players to play different files that another one can't. I've found some videos won't play the best.

Um, you actually use more than one player? Are you using some weird proprietary video format?

Try installing K-lite codec pack (do the standard version) and Media player classic (should be included.) I recommend setting it to use the MadVR renderer if your computer is powerful enough. Everything else should be fine left at default, unless you run into problems or feel like tinkering more. If you really find things it still can't play, try searching for a codec before using a bunch of random players.

EDIT: Here's a compatibility list for K-lite, just to give you an idea of what it supports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom