Visual Guide to installing windows XP

I would also like to add where it says "REMEMBER TO TAKE THE CD OUT OF THE CDROM OR IT WILL BOOT BACK TO SETUP" is not actually correct for it will not boot, it will just give u the press any key to boot setup option - you can then just leave it.

Interlaced said:
I would also like to add where it says "REMEMBER TO TAKE THE CD OUT OF THE CDROM OR IT WILL BOOT BACK TO SETUP" is not actually correct for it will not boot, it will just give u the press any key to boot setup option - you can then just leave it.

some computers in the world still don't have this feature, it was made to be as fail safe as possible.

Does anyone know why I cannot install XP Pro on my secondary HD? (I already have a different XP Pro on my primary HD but this is family use, and I require a seperate one for university). And does anyone know how I can successfully do this?

When following the installation procedure as depicted in the above link, when it comes to choosing an installation partition I select my secondary (formatted properly) HD and it tells me that it requires some space, in the shape of an empty partition, on my primary hard disk to write some startup files to. Being as my primary disk has only one partition and is being utilised already (thus cannot be formatted or partition deleted and then re-created) how can I achieve a double install of XP, or does this create an MBR conflict which ultimately means you cannot have two versions of the same OS on two seperate drives.

Along with all that, the installation menu also said it did not recognise the primary HD partition type, yet it's NTFS. Why exactly?

A lot of questions there I know, I apologise for raising so many issues at once, but they are all inter-related, and I would greatly appreciate anyone who could either say 'No, its not possible' or 'Yes, here's how'. Many thanks in advance.
Michael

Seti says> We don't jack other people's threads. This is a dual boot problem not cover by the subject of this thread. Please start your own thread.

much apologies, i veer from the topic easily, i shall delete this entry.. oh wait i cant, feel free to then.

Interlaced said:

If you have the install setup in the bios> cd-rom, hard drive, floppy, it will continue to see a bootable cd in the drive and keep going back to it.
It can be got around by either removing the cd which will make the system look for the next bootable device or change the start up in the bios on the first reboot. So he's right in a way.

Back
Top Bottom