Vista Slow Start up

tlovaj

Solid State Member
Hey guys, i'm running into some problems with my vista on my laptop. For some reason everytime my laptop loads up, when it gets to my desktop i get this black screen and my mouse pointer. I figured that it was just taking a while for my processes/drivers to load. But with 2gb of ram should it really take 3 mins for my desktop to load?

Is this something that happened after a while of using the laptop or has it always done this? If this is something that's been happening after you've had it for a while make sure to check what your running processes are under run>msconfig. If you have a lot listed then it might be time to remove some (just make sure you know which ones are safe to remove). Also run a good registry cleaner such as CCleaner and an adware scan such as Lavasoft Adaware. You should actually check out the 'Housecleaning" Thread for more useful tips here. If the problem persists let us know.

i want to say this has always been an issue. Its still pretty much OEM in terms of start up programs.

Is your laptop plugged in with an external hard drive? Mine does that when I have a USB external drive plugged into my laptop. When unplugged, it boots fast. When plugged in, it boots slowly but I should check the boot order in BIOS to see if it's actually trying to boot from my external drive instead of the hard drive that's in my laptop. If your problem is related to mine, this may help.

no its not connected to an external hard drive. I ran the reg cleaner and adaware, which saved a few seconds off. I as overexaggerating about the 3 min loadtime. more like 30 secs. its now down to 18. is that normal?

Clean out your startup folder , Click start \ run \ then type msconfig to get a more thorough list of what starts up with your computer . If its a new laptop chances are its loaded with crapware use CCleaner to get rod of that ... and iff all else fails try defraging

Back
Top Bottom