Using Macrium Reflect

Hi ! My bad! I meant screen shot of your Disk management!
Your screen shots would be clearer if you used the windows snipping tool!

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 4
Why do you need to get it down to one large partition? It should be easy to combine the last 2 partitions into a single partition but you will need to jump thru a few hoops to eliminate that first 100MB partition.

You should be able to right-click on the partition D: partition and select "Extend Volume" which will allow you to extend the D: partition into the unallocated space to the right. Note: Disk Management can only Extend into space to the right of a partition, if you want to extend to a partition to the left, you'll need a 3rd party program to do that.

Is this a data drive or a boot drive? If it's data then you can delete the 100MB 1st partition to make it unallocated but in order to add it to the D: partition, you will need a 3rd party partitioning program such as Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Hi strollin! Is there a way to get all three partitions to be just one. If you moved the data from the D partition then deleted it, could you then extend the first partition to the other two?? You said you can only extend to the right, so would that work??
Gary!!

I suppose but then where would you move the data from the D: partition to?

If the OP saved all of his data to another drive, then he could simply delete all 3 partitions and then create a single partition and then copy the data back. That's probably what I would have done in the first place. Cloning only makes sense for a boot drive.

I don't know why Disk Management has that ridiculous restriction about only being able to extend to a partition on the right. None of the other partition manager software that I've used before has that restriction, only Disk Management.

I'm a big fan of cloning when installing a new boot drive. I hook up the new drive as a secondary drive, clone the first to the second, then replace the first with the second. I don't use cloning to perform a backup.

Imaging is useful too but I don't make images as often as you seem to. Periodic images are useful, then in between I do data file backups. I never rely on the mfr's recovery disks or partitions for recovery but make sure I have a fairly recent image that I can use to restore my system.

Hi folks, very interesting reading your thoughts on cloning. I've mentioned previously that I'm not that brill on computers, better than a lot of oldies though.
I wanted to 'clone' my data because I wanted the directory 'tree' to be exactly the same as I have at the moment. If I just do a backup image and then just do a 'restore' will I end up with exactly the same as if I'd cloned it?
Thanks again for all the input, very useful and I'm very grateful.

Hi Yes! A image will restore your PC back exactly like it was the day you created it. I have done it several times. You can put a brand new HDD in ,and Macrium will restore your OS on the new drive just like the day you created the image. It's a wonderful program. I wish everyone would learn how to use it!!
Gary!
PS I will be glad to answer any question you have!!

Back
Top Bottom