USB Drive question

chillymarlin

Solid State Member
if i take a file from a suspected computer that has a virus and then plug the USB drive into another computer will the computer that i plugged it into recieve any viruses?

It depends on the virus(s) on the computer, its probably best not to risk however.
Why not transfer the files a different way?? You could always use a virus scanner on the usb to check it.

Most realtime AV scanners are great at catching viruses from infected UFDs. If you're not sure, upload the file(s) you need via Email to yourself, and the Email scanner can give you an added layer of security, but this is only really useful if you're doing a few files or less.

well the other computer didnt let me even access my email, cuz it always said this website is untrusted.

well the other computer didnt let me even access my email, cuz it always said this website is untrusted.

It's a really roundabout way to do it, and will probably take a bit of time if you have no linux experience, but you can make a linux live USB (or some sort of bootable recovery program) and boot into it on the infected computer. Then navigate the file system on the computer and pull the file you want off of it.

I agree with tommy boy. Odds will be against you that the file is clean. It's best not to risk cross infecting another computer. However...
Stinger and Combofix will run directly off a thumb drive. I use them that way when I suspect a system is infected and it won't let me get online.
Stinger > How to Use Stinger | McAfee Free Tools
Combofix > http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
Download them directly to the thumb drive. Plug in to the suspect system and run them from the thumb drive. They take close hard looks at the system and do their thing with out advising you until they finish up.

Back
Top Bottom