Urgent help needed for Ubuntu

wolfeking

Baseband Member
I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 in my laptop. (yes I know its the older version, but 10.04 doesn't load properly). So far everything is fine with two major exceptions.
1. The internal WiFi card is disabled and for some reason it will not let me enable it. The ethernet works fine, but the wifi doesn't. (normally I wouldn't even woorry with it since WiFi is slower than Ethernet (100 MB/s), but the router is in the kitchen, and its kinda awkward to be sitting in here all day just to be wired to the internet.)
2. The ATI drivers are not installed. Just a standard VGA driver. I went to teh AMD site and downloaded the latest CCC for linux 86_64, but the system says that it can not read the data.

does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get this working?

Hi,

Welcome to the world of linux. I would like to have you post the output for a command or two. I would like you to post the following commands in terminal and then see what they give you.
Code:
lspci [color=blue]this will show you everything that is connected via pci[/color]

Cheers!

I am not new to ubuntu. Just new to this particular version, so welcomes are not needed. Second off, its not a PCI card. It is a external usb wireless adapter, but it says that it will work under ubuntu. It worked under 5.04 and 6.04 on my desktop.

Hi,

What is the make and model of your usb adapter? Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Cheers!

Franklin wireless U301.
Sorry, I should have stated that it was USB. I removed the PCI wireless device and installed a PCI SSD i nits place for better performance. The laptop model, should it help, is HP G61. Has a Foxconn socket S1 whitebox motherboard, Phenom IIx4 2.3GHZ, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB PCI SSD, 1 TB HDD, Sony Bluray SATA drive, 2 USB 3 and 2 x USB 2.0, running Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows XP_64 SP2.

Just curious but why aren't you using 10.10? It has better hardware support than 10.04 and below.

A thing you could try is hook up to the Internet and open System>Admisitration>Additional Drivers and see if it will list one.
I don't know if this will help but I believe I saw an app in the Software Center that would adapt a Windows wireless driver to work with Ubuntu, which may be worth checking into. And if all else fails, a simple Google search can help.

I haven't had any luck with 10.04 and I doubt that 10.10 would be any better with it. The VGA driver for 10.04 doesn't work the screen too well, basically a hit and miss business. works fine on my IBM (P3 900 MHZ, 1GB, 250 GB PATA) though.

it reads no additional drivers are shown when plugged direct to the internet.

I suggest you try and upgrade to 10.10. I had better luck installing my GPU driver than I did in 10.04.
Also I will ask you again to search with Google, there's bound to be somebody with the same problem, and if that fails you can post in the Ubuntu forums.

Back
Top Bottom