two computers and two problems.. help please!!!

mishymoo89

Beta member
I have two problems, with two different computers and i need help!

i have a dell dimension 3100 and a fujitsu Scaleo P P300 both have problems, both computers are quite slow so my hubby tried to build a super computer, but dell doesn't allow you to do this, we tried putting scaleo ram in the dell max ram the dell had is 1.5gb i no it can go up to alot more. anyway ever since then the dell keeps beeping when turned on and nothing works.. the beeps are 1-3-2.. which according to dell is a ram/memory problem, either faulty ram or its not seated properly. my hubby has put the ram in like 100times so i know its seated properly the ram isn't faulty so how can i fix this? there are no loose wires, it doesn't smell funny so its not fried, i don't know what else it can be?

the fujitsu works but i have a wireless problem. seeing as though my dell doesn't work, i took out the linksys wireless adapter wmp54g and put it in the fujitsu, the problem is the computer doesn't seem to recognise the wireless adapter, there is no wireless icon on the network connection folder in control panel. Iv tried setting a wireless connection via wireless network setup wizard, iv tried setting up via new connection, iv tried everything. The wireless adapter isn't coming up in the device manager either, its like the adapter isn't even in the computer, it doesn't come up found new hardware, iv tried going through add hardware nothing works, iv downloaded the correct software. does this mean its not compatible? or im missing the wireless drivers for the computer? im so confused!! help please

ps: both are on windows xp home, iv also looked in bios. is it worth taking them both to a computer shop?

First problem:
The ram may be incompatible. Some systems are very particular with the type of ram you put in.
Does the system operate with only the new ram when not mixed?

Second problem:
Some systems have multiple ways to disable and enable wireless functionality. Such as Fn+ F2, and or a switch.
Also if the adapter isn't coming up you may want to check the slot's drivers. Perhaps the pcmcia or express card drivers are not installed or up to date.

hello thanks for your reply. iv put the original dell ram back in and it still dont work, thats what i meant about hes put it in 100times, to see if it is seated properly, well not 100 times but several, it still has the 3-2-1 beep.

the wireless adapter has a light at the back and that is coming on so its connected? but how do i enable wireless? or get the computer to recognise the adapter? would a usb wireless adapter dongle work if the pci adapter doesnt? iv found one on ebay for £7 that i can get if it does?

Try setting the cmos reset jumpers to reset. Power on the computer power down and put the cmos jumper back to normal and see if that helps.
Try seating the pci card in a different slot.

what is the cmos? sorry im not that computer literate lol i had it in the wrong slot to begin with but put it in the right slot and it still didnt work, so shall i try the other pci slot aswell? iv read online and you've said use fn n f1/2 but as its desktop the keyboard doesnt have an fn button, or is it different button on keyboards? if that doesnt work then is there anything else it can be? i would hardwire it but its in another room to the router.

Ya sorry about that, when I first read it I assumed fujitsu was a laptop brand. Anyways, the cmos reset pin is on the motherboard. The cmos is responsible for remembering bios settings. However, I found that when I did something really bad to a computer, like messing up the ram config. all I needed to was reset the cmos to resolve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom