Thoughts About Windows 10

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So I thought I'd make this new thread to separate from the other Windows 10 discussions to ask those who have been or are using Windows 10 on they think of it since its release at the end of July.

For me its been alright, I haven't come across any major software compatibility issues/support for Windows 10 but I still have driver issues with my discrete GPU which still haven't been fixed. The improved multitasking features are great and have been very handy.

I've had some serious bugs with it. One in which the start up button stopped working completely and right clicking on the toolbar hangs the system. This problem broke the system and I had to use a system backup image. In another, maximized windows disappear completely. This one happens sometimes when I change resolutions and monitor settings and goes when I restart. And in one more, right clicking on the items right next to the clock give an empty list on x1080 resolution. The latter I couldn't find a fix for until now, but it occurs only on my secondary three monitors I use for surround span gaming in which that resolution is hard on the video card so I use x900 resolution instead.

I really, really do not recommend Windows 10 to the inexperienced in how to troubleshoot or have work arounds for computer problems. I highly suggest waiting for it to get updates enough to patch bugs as much as possible.

Might be worth a read 10 Reasons to Finally Upgrade to Windows 10. One thing I don't like is Windows Update's has been taken away from the Control Panel completely as you cannot select which updates you want and don't want installed, It would be good if even Pro version users could get it since we have control over updates instead of having to use the stupid tool MS made..

Yes, the mandatory update is a problem too.

And by the way, that problem is back, just this morning. Now Start button and main Windows apps don't work at all. Settings work after a while of starting them. I looked for solutions and non worked.

I guess I'll have to start a thread about it.

I don't use the apps, I've looked at the Store but it doesn't appeal/stand out to me. When I look at the Updates Windows thinks that my system is managed by an organization when its not. To bad if I actually wanted to get Insider Builds. I recently put a PC together so I might upgrade that to Windows 10 and use that as my dummy for testing.

RPrdlFo.png

The problem is something that's causing them not to work, and it is related to the system itself. Everything native Windows 10 now either does not work or works after a long pause. The OS's is now not functioning correctly. The system hangs for a while when I right click on the tool bar.

It happened before and I reverted back to a system backup image. The problem then came back again like a month after that. I hope it is not one of those useless auto updates similar to problem with dual GPU graphics drivers.

I'll try some more solutions then give it a fresh install if nothing works.

Hey, BK

Wasn't sure where to place this question and thought I might try here, but if it's more appropriate elsewhere feel free to let me know (I figured I'd try to avoid starting a new thread if possible).

I'm still using Windows 8 and have mainly resisted upgrading to 10, due to the hassle. I just am super busy and don't want to take the time to upgrade.

Having said that, I'm wondering if staying with 8 will have any security or other drawbacks. For example, is Windows 10 more secure or does it have some other amazing advantages that make it much more worthwhile to go with 10 over 8?

I'll have to check out that article link you posted, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Back
Top Bottom