Sticky situation with windows 98 plz help

N00BI3

Baseband Member
Hi i'm N00BI3 and as my name suggests i'm new (what a lovely foum btw :) )
anyways, i have an old lame computer that i want to get up and running again, in the hopes of getting it a bit faster i added 128 mb of SD RAM, and figured it was good enough to run windows xp, how wrong i was, during the formating of the hard drive my computer froze up and now when i reboot it it fails to load an operating system... i figured thats not that bad so i shoved in my windows 98 recovery floppy and cd, "Your hard drive is not formatted to run windows 98 please press Y to format it" and when i do this it fails to find c drive and skips the formatting ( :confused: ) and skips directily to "would u like to reset your computer to factory settings" screen and when i press continue it shows the blue screen with a loading bar saying "copying files" with the error count goin WAY OFF and it displays a new screen saying "there appears to be a problem with the copying process blah blah"

what can i do? (btw i'm using my GOOD computer to send this so if anything requires 3rd party software etc i do have access to it)

Lame computer specs:
3.2 GB Hard drive
160 MB SDRAM
266MHZ processor (lol)

Umm do you have a boot disk? You can try to load with a different boot disk. Try different letter drives like d,e,f.

format drive-letter-here:
y (when it asks you)

if you want to partition, fdisk

yeah it reads my boot disk, i have a boot disk from when i bought the comp (it was supplied by the company [don't ask {ok, my first comp was a branded one} lol]), but it doesn't do much lol, it just sends me to the "reset comp to facotry settings" screen again...

You could try putting Linux on it. I have a very old Compaq desktop that was running Windows 98, it has 128 MB RAM and a 12 GB hard drive, and Windows ran really slowly on it. I put Ubuntu Linux on it and it runs pretty well now; way better than it ran Windows.

if you are trying to install win 98 you need to get a boot disk first

boot the computer from the disk and type in "fdisk"
in the command prompt

you are going to want to delete "non windows partitions"
(ntfs is not a win98 partition)

then you will want to create a new partition

restart (boot from disk again)

type "format c:\" and reformat the HDD

then install win98

if you are trying to install XP just pop in the disk and delete the partition and reformat with "fat 32" there is no need for ntfs partitioning on that hdd

Back
Top Bottom