Slow Computer

Larisa

In Runtime
My friend has a slow computer, boot up time is about a half hour. I'm running a virus check but nothing yet, processing is very slow also. I also did a restore but it would only let me restore to 6 Jun. It uses windows XP and is at least 5 years old, compact latitude I think is the name. Does anyone know how I can force an earlier date to restore? The calendar to select a date for restore won't let me go back a month, always stays on June.

Is there software available that will diagnose problems? The closest I can find is memtest (seems to be for memory only) and this, http://www.fixcomputerproblems.biz/index2.php?sid=Perform%20PC%20Diagnostics&OVRAW='software%20diagnostic'&OVKEY=pc%20diagnostic%20software&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=20396256513&OVKWID=187425443013&OVCAMPGID=810032513&OVADGRPID=7570443401&OVNDID=ND1

Any one know anything about this?

Could the slowness be caused by a CPU starting to die? Any other reasons or the slowness besides a virus?

Larisa

Yes, it's a Dell, not a compaq.

The max RAM is 1 Gig but I'm sure it has less then that. Standard at the time was 512M.

My question is about the diagnostic software. Anyone know of or use such software?

It takes a long time (minutes) just to respond to a click of the the "START" button.

Could the RAM be bad, mobo, or, cpu? Or probably a virus?

more than likely it will b low ram, and abunch of programs installed... along with a few viruses and spyware...

the programs uses the virutual memory and cause the computer to slow over time... just like your car isn't brand new 5 years from now its going to have to be cleaned up, so does ur computer

more than likely it will b low ram
Nope. Remember this PC was running windows XP to start with, the RAM didn't suddenly decrease in size over time. I've run XP on 512MB no problems at all with a few lightweight apps.

Might seem simplisted, but my advice would be to back up, reformat and then reinstall windows. If it's still bad after that then a) you've narrowed it down to a hardware problem and b) you've got all your data backed up anyway. My bet however is some form of software issue that's gone wrong, these things happen from time to time with Windows especially.

If we are looking at hardware then the hard drive failing would be the most likely situation here. It won't be the CPU.

I agree Berry, that's why I've been concentrating on restore and viruses. Do you know how to force a restore from an earlier date? I doubt if my friend has back up window XP discs. Even factory/original settings would be great!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and inputs.

Kisses - Larisa

All the available restores will be there I'm afraid. If an earlier date isn't showing up then chances are those restore points have been deleted.

As for factory / original settings, you'll need the disks...

I am a Windows Vista user. I used to have similar problem, booting my computer used to take forever. Fortunately one of my friends have had similar problems. She suggested that I install a free registry cleaner.

I ran a registry scan using the application. The program identified hundreds of errors in my system. Afterwards the program proceeded to fixing and cleaning errors. My computer's performance dramatically changed especially in terms of speed. The problem was resolve in just a few minutes.

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom