Should I put Vista on laptop that uses XP?

TokinTom420

Beta member
My laptop runs XP. I've used computers with Vista, and I like how it works (most of the time). Would it be a good or bad idea to replace XP with Vista? If so/not, why/why not? And if so, how would I go about getting vista for free? My moms laptop came with vista and I know you have to make your own backup disks. So can I just make one from her comp. and use it on mine?

Check your laptop makers website for vista drivers for your model.
And no you can't use mom's recovery disc's. They're custom for her machine.

Before you consider upgrading XP to Vista on a laptop, be sure there are drivers available for Vista from the manufacturer.

We can't help you with obtaining a "free" copy of Vista. If you were to use your mother's Vista, you would have to completely uninstall the OS from her laptop before doing so.

I'm surprised the two above didn't mention this. But MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD ENOUGH HARDWARE! Vista requires a lot more hardware to make it run good. When i bought my laptop (Vista Basic 32bit), my pc barely ran vista. I had 1gb of ram. Then i installed xp. It ran great because of the lower requirements needed by xp. So make sure you have enough ram to run it and also make sure your processor is good enough to still run basic applications and not crash.

My laptop runs XP. I've used computers with Vista, and I like how it works (most of the time). Would it be a good or bad idea to replace XP with Vista? If so/not, why/why not? And if so, how would I go about getting vista for free? My moms laptop came with vista and I know you have to make your own backup disks. So can I just make one from her comp. and use it on mine?

Try Ubuntu, or get the free Windows 7 which expires next year.

Back
Top Bottom