Hi everyone! I will try to make this as painless as possible, hopefully by providing enough information and feedback.
This type of help is almost painful to ask for, because this is somthing that in most cases I would be able to fix on my own. Because it has become more of a problem the more I do, I can now see the pride or no, this is somthing that I cannot do on my own. Yes people, when it comes to software I have a pride issue. Please do not let that affect your judegement when reading the rest of this.
That said, everything that I am about to post may have importance to the final solution, so I would much appricate it if you where willing to read the entire post.
I ran Defraggler on "Full Defrag" to the tune of almost 8 hours of time. It stated 49% fragmentation before. After the program had finished, it showed... 49%. I know that I am not supposed to let it get that far along... I have already beaten myself up about that LOL.
I ran an analize after to check, and it came up with 10%. However, I did not settle well with just an analize, so I ran a full defrag again. As soon as it was done building a file list, it stated 26%.
If I may ask, has anyone ever delt with this type of problem before? Any decent solution.
Now the obvious, system specs....
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
HDD: Single, no extra partitions. (so no dual boot... yet.)
Used: 160.1GB (But that changes during Defrag... I really dont know what to say about that one
Now, despite the changes in drive space, the strange amount of fragmentation that never seems to stay the same, there are a few other issues.
Startup time is crazy slow, yet uneven enough to make my head hurt trying to figure it out.
Checks so far...
Startup applications are pretty normal. Even with Avast (the largest boot hog) taken out of the equasion, startup time doesnt change a lot.
No strange services.
As for malware... nothing could have survived the number of scans that I did, and the few who could will not have been able to get through my manual checks. Lets just say I used every major scan and tool in (my) book.
Despite the slow startup time, that is the only thing that is slow. Everything else runs like a dream. You would think that if it where software related, the problem would extend past startup.
Once the OS is loaded, there is no problem getting the accounts to load at average speeds.
So you guys can see why I am confused.
I wish to say thank you for reading if you got this far, and thank you for any information that may or may not lead to a possible solution.