Problems with Scrolling! Help :(

ahhnndrew

Beta member
Hello, For the past few weeks my laptop (Sony Vaio E-Series, Windows 7,Intel Core i3, 4Gb ram, 50Gb HD, less than 2 years old) Wont let me scroll in various programs.

If I am working in Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, I go to open a file it allows me to navigate to the folder but when I go to navigate down to the file it scrolls right back up to the top. This same action happens when I try and scroll through to a certain font. and even when i try and print something. I use a wireless mouse, i thought that might be the problem but even when using the track pad it happens.

?? Are there drivers that i should reinstall or something? Maybe a virus? ??

Any tips or advice on what to do would be awesome!!! I know Sony is sh*t but the laptop was a gift, dont have the money for anything else right now.

:| That's strange. I did think virus, TBH. You may as well scan for Malware/viruses/spyware, to more or less rule that out. Not sure what else to suggest, sorry. You're able to scroll by manually using the scroll bar in a given window, right? If even that doesn't work, then I suspect a virus even more. If you don't already have it, you may as well scan with Malwarebytes, as it's a pretty sweet program.

Der-PC-Mann said:
:| That's strange. I did think virus, TBH. You may as well scan for Malware/viruses/spyware, to more or less rule that out. Not sure what else to suggest, sorry. You're able to scroll by manually using the scroll bar in a given window, right? If even that doesn't work, then I suspect a virus even more. If you don't already have it, you may as well scan with Malwarebytes, as it's a pretty sweet program.

I'll do that as soon as I get home. And I'll try that program too. Thank you. And yea oddly enough regular scrolling in a window works just fine. No problems except for trying to open a file within the program. Thanks so much! :)

No problem. Since it's working via the scroll bar, it targets the feature in which your touchpad scrolls (usually comes with software that utilises it properly) and perhaps needs to be reconfigured for use with a mouse. Not really sure, but I know I had problems back when I had a laptop, but I just disabled the whole lot and scrolled manually; wasn't a problem for me. I'm thinking it's not a virus, but that a setting has accidentally been changed, you've unknowingly changed something that's done this, or a program has automatically changed something that was unwanted. Have a look through your touchpad software and see if you can find something that's relevant. Still, a scan couldn't hurt, besides, it's a good program. G'luck. :)

Der-PC-Mann said:
No problem. Since it's working via the scroll bar, it targets the feature in which your touchpad scrolls (usually comes with software that utilises it properly) and perhaps needs to be reconfigured for use with a mouse. Not really sure, but I know I had problems back when I had a laptop, but I just disabled the whole lot and scrolled manually; wasn't a problem for me. I'm thinking it's not a virus, but that a setting has accidentally been changed, you've unknowingly changed something that's done this, or a program has automatically changed something that was unwanted. Have a look through your touchpad software and see if you can find something that's relevant. Still, a scan couldn't hurt, besides, it's a good program. G'luck. :)

I downloaded Malwarebytes. I went to set it up but when I choose English it of course scrolls to the top of the drop down menu and selects a language I've never even heard of haha. And as far as touchpad programs go, all I can find is "Mouse" in control panel. I tried tinkering with settings and stuff but as soon as I click a drop down menu or anything that can move for adjustment, it goes nuts and scrolls. Maybe reinstall the OS? /: I've had to have the hard drive replaced twice since I've had this thing. I almost feel it would be better to get a new computer haha

May be it's caused by scrollpad drivers you should reinstall drivers of it. If that installation doesn't work, try to find out who makes your touchpad and go to their website and download the drivers there.

Check your scroll lock and make sure no buttons are stuck down.

Also make sure ur not using the edges of the touchpad. Sometimes those are designated scroll areas.

Does it happen in all programs or only some of them?

I downloaded Malwarebytes. I went to set it up but when I choose English it of course scrolls to the top of the drop down menu and selects a language I've never even heard of haha. And as far as touchpad programs go, all I can find is "Mouse" in control panel. I tried tinkering with settings and stuff but as soon as I click a drop down menu or anything that can move for adjustment, it goes nuts and scrolls. Maybe reinstall the OS? /: I've had to have the hard drive replaced twice since I've had this thing. I almost feel it would be better to get a new computer haha

Maybe try booting up in safe mode before installing Malwarebytes?

Just read your last post, and then it dawned on me that this has happened to me several times in the past, and it's always been a key that has been stuck, as jmacavali mentioned. Check your up directional key.

jmacavali said:
Check your scroll lock and make sure no buttons are stuck down.

Also make sure ur not using the edges of the touchpad. Sometimes those are designated scroll areas.

Does it happen in all programs or only some of them?

Ohk. Thanks. And only some programs. And on rare occasions it scrolls correctly.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

I'm currently in Safe Mode. Going to try and set up Malwarebytes.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Der-PC-Mann said:
Just read your last post, and then it dawned on me that this has happened to me several times in the past, and it's always been a key that has been stuck, as jmacavali mentioned. Check your up directional key.

I checked my up directional key. It wasn't stuck lol

Back
Top Bottom