photoshop vs gimp, which one should i use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbzkid

In Runtime
like ok, i have seen and used photoshop but never used any filters and from what ive heard its Really good, but then there is gimp whis ive also heard some good things about again ive used it and never used filters, im not too great with photo editing but i can learn, now i have heard that photoshop has some more filters than gimp but photoshop is like 1000 bucks and is like a gig in size while gimp is like 20 megabytes. now i want to make some nice wallpapers and stuff like that, which one should i get?

Gimp is pretty powerful, and its Open Source, so its free.
Photoshop on the other hand isn't, but its your best bet most likely, but you can do a lot with Open Source software. Some rival the retail counterparts.

You only have to look at Blender and Open Office to know that this is the case.

Gimp is pretty powerful, and its Open Source, so its free.
Photoshop on the other hand isn't, but its your best bet most likely, but you can do a lot with Open Source software. Some rival the retail counterparts.

You only have to look at Blender and Open Office to know that this is the case.

/agree. I guess if you have the money buy Photoshop, or use other means....

Isn't Gimp a vector program? If it is, than it cant even really be compared to photoshop... Although, if you only care about filters, than I guess it wouldn't really matter which one you use.. However, in the long run, photoshop is better and used by proffessionals.

Photoshop IS professional standard, i should know, but GIMP is a much better bet, it is nearly 80% as powerful and costs a MASSIVE 0 $, price-to-performance wise there is no contest, GIMP FTW!!

You should be able to do the things that you are wanting to do with GIMP. Why not just download it and try it out to see if you like it? Since it is free you have nothing to lose.

If you do decide to go with Photoshop then it is much cheaper to get it with an edu discount...I am talking about over $1000 less than the regular price! If you are a student or if you have any friends or relatives who are students or teachers then that is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom