Original Volume Serial Number

sinny

Beta member
Hi Everyone,

The serial number has been changed on my Laptop (windows 7) using a program called 'Harddisk Serial Number changer' and I don't have the original one. I believe the serial is stored in the MBR but i'm not sure.

I'd like to restore the original one and would like to know if restoring a previous image of the partition (system) would indeed restore the original volume serial number?

If anyone could answer this, I'd be very grateful

Yes restoring from an image from the previous version will totally wipe over your current set-up and replace it with the data that was on their at the time of the image. and if the laptop was bought with windows 7 then the serial should be printed on the bottom of the laptop, the sticker is usually greenish.

Hi thanks for your help. On Dell laptops they don't issue you with a serial - this is in terms of the serial for windows 7. They ask you to resotre from OEM or create recovery disks with their rip-off data safe crap. I already created an image with Acronis.

I've read that there are 10 categories about your computer that windows uses to activate. One of these is the VSN. However it only needs 7 categories from your hardware to activate the product.

I think I should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom