Office 2010 business | 1 user, 2 pc's ????????

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I need office with outlook on two desktops however the licence agreement says 1 user on 2 PC's.

Im guessing that i will be able to install and use office on two desktops regardless of who the users are. Am i correct in saying that. I mean there is no way Microsoft can see who is using the software.

So essentially 1 user, 2 PC's means multiple users on 2 machines ???

I know that's not how Microsoft intend it to be used but it will work, right ?

It will work. Microsoft knows.

There are a thousand different things that Microsoft can use to tell who is actually using that copy of Office. At my work, we've been audited. It's scary what they already know before ever knocking on your door. The better question is, does Microsoft care about one person using a 2 PC licensed version of Office on two different PC's and 2 users taking advantage of that license? The answer to that is not by any stretch of the imagination. Now, the question you need to answer is where the two PC's are located. If you're talking about two PC's in the same household that husband and wife use... no, they would spend more money pursuing the charge then they'd ever make back. If you're talking about two users in two states, they may just throw the money away to prove a point. The likelihood is not good, but the possibility exists.

Brilliant thanks for that lengthy reply.

I dont really understand. why have Microsoft given a 3 pc privileged to the home and student package but the business package is limited to 1 user on 2 machines. What happens if a business with 6 employees and 6 computers needed the package. Would they have to all create an account in their name and buy the 1 user 1 pc package ???

Dont Microsoft do a 2 user 2 pc's or 3 user, 3 pc's and so on ? It dont make sense to me.

I can't really say why the Home and Student Package has 3, but I would assume it's for the simple idea that most people have, at most, 3 PC's in their home.

The whole business part is simple.

Microsoft allows a business to install the Office suite on two PC's for the same User. This is needed if the same user has a desktop + laptop setup. The business only needs to use a single CAL (Client Access License) for a single user to use the same key on all possible business PC's. A working man/woman would have no need for two desktops with Office on it. In that rare occasion, an additional license is required.
The only time a business user can extend that CAL is if the organization has an ELA (Enterprise License Agreement... or Volume Licensing in Microsoft Land). When the organization has this, then the employee can use the Office package on two office PC's, as well as install the package on a home PC under the same license key.

Looking at your examples above.
First, Microsoft doesn't make their money from students or old ladies. They make their money from businesses and government. Windows XP was designed specifically for the government... not Joe the plumber.

Microsoft products and the licensing for those products are usually 1 to 1. 1 user, [x of 1 users] PC's (again driven from the gov/biz target consumer). Keep in mind though, Windows was not designed to support the user limitation. If you install Office 20xx on a Windows PC, you can't setup a key for each profile. The same installation works on all profiles and is considered as compliant. This was not done by accident. The whole 1 user 3 PC limitation is set forth to protect from piracy, not to destroy people's lives through litigation. If you have Office on your home computer and you, your wife, your 3 kids and the stray cat all use the product, they could really care less. Don't get too caught up on the user limitations. The number of machines that the key is limited to is the more important term.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom