NT help needed

iancity

Beta member
Hi, absolute Newbie so forgive me.
I have been given an old computer through work which has Windows NT installed as the OS. I am attempting to install 98. I insert the disc but am met with an error message "Setup cannot run from within Windows NT. Please shutdown Windows NT". How exactly do I shut Windows down? I have tried going to the Command Prompt to get into DOS, but setup does not run from their either.
I am sure its an obvious solution, but if you need any more info let me know.

Thanks, Ian

to install windows 98, go into ur bios settings (F8) on startup then change ur settings so that the CD drive is the first to boot, so that it will read the info on the cd b4 it starts the OS windows NT. Then the installation 4 windows 98 will come up! Problem solved! ny questions regarding this thread just ask!¬

regards
matt :)

Tried that Matt, went into settings, bootdrive order, cd-rom drive first but it didnt change a thing -nt still loaded up !

Are you sure the CD is bootable?
try ging to bootdisk.com and getting the windows 98 startup disk, boot from that and you should be able to install windows 98.

Windows 98 cannot be installed from within windows NT because windows 98 is DOS based, and windows NT is NT based, NT doesn't run DOS programs, this includes the windows 98 setup.

Hi root thanks, that sort of makes sense. So I need a startup disc AND a setup disc, have I got that right?

sorry i cudnt help b4 but the next soloution i had in mind was what root said. You need a book disk, which will be saved onto a floppy disk, u may need to configure ur bios settings to make the floppy drive boot first. Then it will help you boot ur sytem up into a windows 98 stylee! then it will ask u for ur setup disk. If that doesnt ork just ask me! i only av 1 more solution, which i need 2 fink bout first! so giv me time, lol!

regards, matt

Back
Top Bottom