no original xp cd but want to reinstall using product key

shappo

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,
I have recently purchased a laptop that has a damaged hard drive, so I am going to replace the hard drive then reinstall xp on the new hard drive. Problem is I don't have the xp cd to do this, I think you can contact hp and order new cd's for a cost, however I don't really want to wait or pay the money. Just wondering if I can grab someone elses xp cd and use my product key that is on the laptop ? Or does anyone know of a site where I can download xp and use this disc to install xp but then use my genuine product key ? Also, on the sticker of the laptop the product key is legible however the operating system and version is not, so is there somwhere on the net where I can type in my product key and it'l tell me what OS it is and what version ? I know its windows xp because the previous owner told me but I do not know if its home or professional version. And Im guessing I would need to know this to get the correct cd to reinstall using the product key ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Andrew

why is it illegall ? I have a genuine windows xp product key stuck to the bottom of the laptop, which was obviously paid for as part of the laptop when it was purchased new. I simply want to reinstall windows using that product key. I had a look on the hp website and couldn't find any info on ordering new cd's, because to get the recovery cd's you are supposed to burn them from the hard drive when it was working, which the previous owner did not do, so this forces me to look for other options. ??

why is it illegall ? I have a genuine windows xp product key stuck to the bottom of the laptop, which was obviously paid for as part of the laptop when it was purchased new. I simply want to reinstall windows using that product key. I had a look on the hp website and couldn't find any info on ordering new cd's, because to get the recovery cd's you are supposed to burn them from the hard drive when it was working, which the previous owner did not do, so this forces me to look for other options. ??
That is some predicament you are in there..
What I would do and I think this is probably your best bet... Is to contact Microsoft, explain what has happen, and give them the product key. Hopefully they will send you a recovery cd.

If you can find the correct OS version to go with your product key, you should be fine. But I'm thinking that key is tied to the specific HP branded OS. I can't be certain on that though.

That is some predicament you are in there..
What I would do and I think this is probably your best bet... Is to contact Microsoft, explain what has happen, and give them the product key. Hopefully they will send you a recovery cd.

yeah i might have to do that, i don't really want to though. Microsoft are a pain in the arse lol

If you can find the correct OS version to go with your product key, you should be fine. But I'm thinking that key is tied to the specific HP branded OS. I can't be certain on that though.

The OS should work. I'm pretty sure that it's just tied to an HP branded computer (needs an HP mobo).

Hard drive swap should not matter. The "key" is tied to the MB, but it's not a brand specific type deal. Find yourself an OEM XP install disc (same version..i.e. home or pro, whichever...SP doesn't matter) and you should be good to go. You can torrent a non-cracked one, but that's where we stop on this forum since it's "technically" illegal (even though it'd be the same thing microsoft or hp would send you). You'd need to use google for any instructions on that.

Back
Top Bottom