Nightmare Update Problem

Venus1

Baseband Member
Hi all,

So this is it, after so long searching on the net I've decided to post this problem here. Here's the story:

I planned to install XP (SP3) on a [MS] Virtual PC, I haven't installed XP for a little while but I used the same copy as I've used in the past, everything goes on OK but I cannot download and updates from a fresh install. What happens in that as soon as the update service checks it completely takes over the CPU (100%) and it just stays like that forever.

As I explained; this copy used to work completely fine.

I know it's the update service as when I break down svchost.exe wuauserv is using all CPU, also once I NET STOP the service everything goes back to normal.

So cutting a mega long story short, I have tried a hell of a lot of things, from clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder to performing a sfc scan and NOTHING works, the only thing that got close is something I read in another forum about updating IE to 8, when I managed this the update shield did appear with one update, but when it tried to download it, it just went back to the usual 100% CPU, only this time the update shield was in the system tray with 0%.

Looking at the WindowsUpdate.log is always logs something about problems adding to the data store before no more log entries are made, but this means nothing to me. I can paste the last 50 lines if this would be of use.

Once again, I've had this exact copy of XP running in a Virtual PC maybe a year ago complete with functioning updates, but now whatever's happened it does not.

I hope someone could shed some light as to what's going down with this.

Thanks.

Hey,

strollin I have actually tried those instructions before without success, the batch file runs OK apart from ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old which I get Access Denied, I try to do it manually but with the same result, I checked the permissions but they're fine, something must be using it.

Anyway continuing with the instructions I cannot install WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe as it already has SP3 installed which has the updates version, so I get Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed.

Same story with WindowsXP-KB927891.exe; Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.

BK_123 I'm just using MS Virtual PC, not sure what this XP Mode is and I don't think network settings are bridged. I don't know about that.

Back
Top Bottom