New computer from newegg has wrong operating system, what to do?

happygoluffy

Baseband Member
Hi,
I got a pc from new egg(cyberpowerpc manufacturer) and it has home vista basic 64 installed. Problem is I cant activate it because on the side of the PC the activation code is for Vista home premium, in fact vista home premium is the operating system sold and advertised on the internet for my pc.
Newegg redirected me to Cyberpowerpc, I sent them an e-mail.

So I'm wondering what might be the solution to this? Do I get some sort of compensation? They shouldnt expect me to install a vista premium operating system on my own? If that does happen I hope at least I wont have to format and lose my data.

I'd think you would have to reformat, I've never done that particular upgrade though.

I'd think your options here would be, return the product for a full refund(cash or store credit)

or

Return the product to be fixed and they will back up your data install the new OS and then put your data back on

or

They'll send you the correct software and you can do the above steps yourself.

The thing to do would probably be to call if possible, the more human contact you have the harder it is for them to give you the run around and you also get real time answers. Decide what it is YOU want them to do, tell them what will be acceptable to you, they're the ones in the wrong, they owe you a vista premium...but they may say you didn't have to go ahead and use the PC if it was wrong so your data isn't their responsibility. Out of curiosity how bad would it be if you had to reformat? Like how much have you been using this PC before you addressed the problem because that doesn't reflect well on you if you used it for like a month and THEN decided to complain.

Hi,
None of the options you mentioned would make me a happy customer, I would rather get some sort of credit allong with a vista home activation code. I've had the computer for about two weeks. Its just untill a few days ago that I got all the drivers and software right so having to format is one of my bigest concerns. It would take me forever to reinstall all the drivers and programs. The computer only has an exchange policy so I don't think in this case a full refund would be possible.

I just hope the drivers aren't different for the premium edition.

I think your best bet is to continue communicating with them as directly as possible. You're still inside of the 30 day policy most places have, and they made a mistake with one of the pricier aspects of your machine if they're any kind of worthwhile business they should work with you on it.

Hi, I just got an email from cyberpower after sending them some pictures of my pc and software. They noticed that the boot cd I have has premium and said that I have to use it in order to get my computer to run premium instead of the home basic it came with. This means I can keep my data but all programs and drivers have to be erased. They said they could walk me through the process. I suppose if they send me a windows upgrade anytime cd for vista home premium I could keep my drivers and programs right?

Is it just me or should newegg or cyberpower owe me compensation of some sort, say store credit or a percentage off of my purchase for putting me through this trouble?

Personally, I would just let it go if the boot DVD works and activates properly. Then again, I'm one of those non-confrontational people (a.k.a. virgos).

Personally, I would just let it go if the boot DVD works and activates properly. Then again, I'm one of those non-confrontational people (a.k.a. virgos).

I ended up installing the premium cd so I had to start from scratch. I dont know how many times I've done that but this is the first time doing it because of my computer coming with the wrong OS installed. At least I had most information on my D drive but it still took me enough hours to get everything back an runing.
No compensation from the sellers, just that I dont have to ship my pc away to get the problem rectified.

Back
Top Bottom