Need help with fresh install of Linux

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
I can't run ANY! .exe files. Am I missing something I was suposed to do? I can't install ANYTHING! becasue they are all .exe files.

I get this error message:

<Title>Can't Display location
"Couldn't display "/media/cdrecorder1/Autorun.exe". "(the part in bold changes when I try a file in a different location.

I have tried reinstalling Linux already. I scaned all the discs for errors in the installation itself and they all checked out ok.

<edit>Sorry I forgot to say i'm using FC4.

What are you trying to install? .exe is windows specific.

You can use software like wine to run windows programs, or cedega to run windows games through emulation. I suggest you master installing programs with your package manager before you start trying to install windows programs.

ok, here we go. Welcome to linux. You need to totally change your mindset on software installation. Cute little install wizards are a thing of the past.

Using FC4 you will usr files with a .rpm extension to install programs. I would advise against trying to run all your old apps through wine... There is most likely a linux equivalent that is native to linux and free...

A few examples would be
Microsoft office= openoffice
AIM, trillian, msn messenger= gaim or kopete
there is a more complete listing on this site

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml

this is by no means a comprehensive guide, but it is much closer. Try using the native package management system as well, rather than just installing .rpm's all willy nilly.. the package manager will resolve all dependencies and make installations much easier..

I don't use FC4, so I couldn't tell you what that manager is, but I know that if all else fails you can use apt4rpm to install packages.

Welcome to linux again. It takes a while to get used to this method, but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

I feel like i'm using MS-DOS,lol. I think i dived into Linux a little too fast,lol. I'm going to partion my HDD, put windows back on and read up A LOT more on Linux. thanks for the help guys. Don't worry i'm not giving up on Linux but while i learn how to use it i would like to play my games i own.

Hmm .... exact same feeling that i am having Dishdog lol ! ... Seriously ... this is goign to take a while for me to finally get used to my new OS, Linux :)

Back
Top Bottom