the mysterious system file corruption

liquidflame802

Beta member
I know my computer inside and out software and hardware wise but this just confused me. When the rare system file corrupt or missing error comes around I know exactly what to do, but this came up and I was stuck. I used my Windows recovery tool thing to repair the system file, but it was like there was no Windows OS ever installed on the thing. The partition information reads it's a FAT based partition, though it's an NTFS Windows XP partition, and when I go into the DOS based recovery tool it never brings me to C:\Windows nor will it let me change the directory to it, so I can't provide admin info to get through. I'm unable to do anything to bring up the Windows folder and replace the corrupted system file. I have a separate partition for Windows Vista, but the boot record won't even get accessed for me to choose between OS. I'm just met with "Invalid Partition Table".

System has a SATA 250gb hard drive that is still functional, checked on my other computer and it reads the disk, the data, everything.

Is there any way I can possibly replace the system files running through a separate partition or computer completely? I'm not quite ready to back up and wipe my drive just yet.

If one PC is complaining about an invalid partition table and is barely reading the disk, yet another one reads it perfectly, that's not a sign of damaged system files - if the partition table was really that corrupted then the other computer wouldn't be able to read it either.

I'd suggest grabbing this: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and then running badblocks (I think it's under hard disk tools.) If it reports that almost every block on the disk is bad, that would point to a motherboard or cable issue in my mind - perhaps try it in a different SATA slot and with a different cable?

Back
Top Bottom