Is my HP laptop dead?

Scissorman

In Runtime
I purchased a HP laptop on eBay ages ago. You can hear the fan inside making a lot of noise. It is extremely sluggish, so I started using my old Toshiba laptop instead.

If I left it on overnight, I couldn't even really open or close any browser and it felt like it was always being 'throttled' to me. It's likely just too old. Even the DVD player does not work. Nor VLC Player. They just freeze up if you attempt to play anything...

Oh well. :hide:

Have you tried re-installing it? Maybe fit an SSD and a bit more memory if it will take it.

Have you tried opening it up and cleaning out the fan ducting and vents? I have seen laptops get clogged up with lint and dust to the point where there was virtually no airflow getting to the cpu to keep it from overheating.

If it has been operating at high temps for awhile, the thermal grease on the cpu may have dried up so it probably would help to remove the cpu heatsink, clean out the old thermal grease and reapply fresh grease.

Tips to fix-
Check the power supply and battery. If your HP laptop won't turn on even when plugged in, start by checking the power supply. ...
Diagnose screen issues.
Remove all devices from your laptop.
Use a rescue disc.
Boot in safe mode.
Check hardware.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Back
Top Bottom