Linux+XP DualBoot

userjs6998

Baseband Member
I'm seriously considering dual-booting XP and Linux. I would only do this if I don't have to reinstall XP to do so. I would love reccomendations and a HOWTO.

edit: I'd also like help partitioning the HD if that is needed.

Most likly you will need to reinstall windows. the way your computer is probably set up is that 100% (exept like 8mb,lol) of your HDD is already partitioned. the windows partition tool does not allow you to edit a existing partition. you can buy software that allows you to edit partitions. a good one is partition magic.

you need to edit the partition because you need to make room for linux.

Just about any major linux distrobution's installer will allow you to resize windows partitions.I have 9 distros in my box now.xp was there first and has never been touched and has always booted.

I think mandriva linux was the easiest and most foolproof to install if I remember correctly.Suse,Fedora core,and Ubuntu are some others that offer installers tairored for a dual boot,w/win,install.I use Mandriva 2006 for things I NEED to do.

I haven't booted xp in a couple of months :D

Hope this helps.

Ps.Check out Distrowatch

Know anything about an OpenSuSe 10 dualboot?
Honestly no.sorry
I have had the 5 install discs burned for a few months but I havent installed.
I tried a few times but I thought the installer was hard to use(I wasnt ever sure where it was wanting to install itself)so I kept aborting.

Thats what I like about Mandriva,the installer is very understandable and being a win convert the os was easier for me to get the hang of.
You can use the diskdrake partition utility within mandriva to create/re-size/rename partitions on your harddrive.Forget the floppy utilities where you cant really see what you are doing.

If you are like me,once you get the hang of making partitions and using the linux installers you will want to try every distro you can get your hands on just to see what its like.Why not they are free. :)

Hope this helps.

ps.have you tried a linux live cd?They are cool.Its a complete linux operating system that runs completely off your cd drive and your ram.Never touches the hd.Try knoppix,puppy,or DamnSmallLinux.Get them from distrowatch.
Puppy and DSL are less than 60MB each.What a trip.

but I can't figure out which file to download on the site.
You want to go HERE You are looking for the files with a .iso extension.
I'm hoping IE will let you access an ftp site.If not I know firefox will.
You want to download "Puppy-1.0.7-mozilla.iso" 60.5MB . OR(this is pretty cool) get the "Puppy-multisession-1.0.7-mozilla.iso" 60.5MB.You use a cd r/w to burn this one.When you are finished using the multisession puppy disc it gives you the option of saving your settings,bookmarks,cookies,etc by re-burning the disc each time you use it effectively creating your own personalized puppy Linux os!

I have been using puppy a lot lately.It is packaged with a program to make your own personel live linux cd.I think that will be awesome.

Now to make the disc.You NEED to burn a disc image.NOT as data for them to work.If I remember correctly in win using nero,when the burn dialog opens click "tools"up at the top and choose "burn cd image".I use k3b in linux.CDRoast works well also.

Whatever burner software you use make sure you burn as "disc image" or "iso=9660".Same thing.This holds true for the linux install disc sets also.

If you have any problems,just ask.

Is it possible to install it to a Hard drive anyway. I have a hard drive that's less than 1 Gig and I don't have any extra CD RW drives handy, and I don't feel like spending a bunch of money for one just for an Operating System. I'm downloading it now, and if I have any questions I'll be sure to ask you.

Yes you can install to HD.I have puppy and DSL installed.The live cd will have a menu option to install.I think you need about 200MB of room in an empty partition on your hd to install.

Some of the distros have a net install option for people with limited space or no cd burner.You download a very small file and save to floppy.

On re-boot the floppy takes over and installs the os where ever you want via the net.

Either way you go you will need to know how to change your first boot device in your bios.From cd-rom to floppy and back.

My boards bios allows me to choose 3 first boot devices.I have it set to check the floppy drive first then the cd.If it doesnt find anything it boots from the hd.

Its a very cheap board.Your bios probably has this feature also.

I like your name btw.
I just edited my signature ;)

Well, I did it. I didn't need any help at all... I finally bit the bullet, d/led the 10.0 386 imgs and installed it. The installer p0wn3d. BTW, I am writing this while running SuSE 10.0. :D

Back
Top Bottom