Linux reading USB drives

Hid_Enigma

In Runtime
Hey I am still new to using linux. Yesterday someone in my programming class's USB drive stopped working in the schools windows machines towards the end of the class. Different computer's were used to try and retrieve the files. When I put the drive and booted up in linux, Linux had no problems seeing the drive and allowed us to copy the files off the USB drive. The USB drive is most likely bad. Is there a reason as to why Linux was capable of reading the drive over Windows or was this just a fluke and we got lucky with the drive?

Hi,

Here is the main reason that I think that linux is reading the drive and windows isn't. Linux reads everything that has a drive as another drive. It isn't trying to find the hardware drivers to work with the system that it is on. All linux cares about is that there is in essence another hdd plugged into the computer.

Windows on the other hand needs to find the drivers so that it can read the flash drive and anything that is on it. Sometimes if the flash drive has firmware on it or something like that and windows can find the drivers then it says that it doesn't exist.

Cheers!

thanks as far as windows goes it did detect the drive and install the drivers but hearing that linux doesn't care about the driver makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom