Lindows

cbhacker

Beta member
hey i am using windows and would like to know if any of you could get me a free lindows

PLZZZZZ?????????????????

If you want linux and don't want to pay, why not use one of the hundreds of other free distros out there?

Xandros OCE is very similar and is available for free.

Check out www.distrowatch.com for a more complete list of linux distributions out there.

Trust me, Lindows is not the end all be all of Linux.

Is there any particular reason why u would want to be using Lindows.. or rather Linspire? Cos Lindows/Linspire isn't really one of the better distributions out there.

I was at a local computer store and they have new computers loaded with lindows. so I was checking it out and it crashed. or rather just froze up :confused: my impression is not good.

Lindows is not a good OS. Trust me on this. Get something better like Ubuntu or Fedora Core.

Has anyone ever read the GPL license? Linux, (and all products based on that) are free to distribute.

In fact publishers are forced to make their distros free... (well thats the basics).

whilst you might have to pay for Lindows or whatever it may be called now, anyone who does own a copy can freely distribute that, merley for the cost of reproduction, (I think a cd is about 20p and postage if 30p, so if anyone has a copy, you can sell it to others for ~50p you just aren't allowed to make a profit).

root said:
Has anyone ever read the GPL license? Linux, (and all products based on that) are free to distribute.

In fact publishers are forced to make their distros free... (well thats the basics).

whilst you might have to pay for Lindows or whatever it may be called now, anyone who does own a copy can freely distribute that, merley for the cost of reproduction, (I think a cd is about 20p and postage if 30p, so if anyone has a copy, you can sell it to others for ~50p you just aren't allowed to make a profit).

You are right about the GPL license but not accurate about the Lindows/Linspire. It is true that anything licensed under the GPL can and must be freely distributed but Lindows is NOT licensed under the GPL. They do use GPL software but they also include proprietary software like the CNR software which makes the entire distro non-Free.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

They should be releasing a distrobution without the paid for stuff then, since they base smoe of their work on the GPL cover Linux kernel, I should be entitled access to that work, (and derrived work)...

Certinly the addition of smoe sort of proprietory software to me sounds a little like some kind of smoke screen...

and it's can't make the entire distro non-free, just some parts, as most parts (being Linux) will be GPL covered.

Back
Top Bottom