laptop freezes ONLY when trying surf internet

jereli

Solid State Member
so heres my laptop info, Toshiba Satellite A665, windows 7 home 64 bit

I was having issues with my laptop with viruses so I decided to format my entire computer using the Toshiba recovery. I restored everything back to factory and now my laptop freezes ONLY when I go online. As soon as I open internet explorer 8 begin browsing for few seconds the laptop freezes up, no error messages come up, task manager doesn't come up, everything just freezes and I have to manually shut down by holding the power button down. and it does not freeze up in safe mood, works fine.

any ideas and help would be appreciated thanks

Try updating the browser and doing windows updates.
Try scanning with Malwarebytes to make sure whatever was infected is gone.
What Antivirus do you have?
Download Chrome/Firefox installers to a usb and then install those on the computer and see if it still freezes using one of those.

I've had this problem before, seems to be on 64bit systems. As boring as it sounds try doing chipset and other driver updates & windows updates.

I find it very odd that you are experiencing freeze ups after doing a restore. I would do what the others suggested and make sure you have a good antivirus on your computer such as Avast or AVG.

I will try that again. I have already tried updating everything and still had the same problem so I restored again to factory settings. I am currently running system updates again. I had avg for antivirus which I will install again and run it just to see if anything is found. Also what can I use to scan malwarebytes? I will try chrome as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Computer Forums mobile app

Try updating the browser and doing windows updates.
Try scanning with Malwarebytes to make sure whatever was infected is gone.
What Antivirus do you have?
Download Chrome/Firefox installers to a usb and then install those on the computer and see if it still freezes using one of those.

Building from Jmac's post also give the http://www.computerforums.org/forums/cyber-safety-computer-security/pc-cleanup-toolbox-219988.html except for the blackviper tools which is for more advanced users.

Try checking out any extensions or plugins that might be running with your browser, browsers can be a target for all kinds of malicious stuff.

I ran avg..installed ccleaner, malwarebytes and scanned it.. No issues found.. I disabled all extensions..tried Firefox, chrome, updated all windows updates..and still have same issue. Freezes up after few second of browsing only. Works fine in safe mode.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Help needed.. What else can I try

Something is running in the background that is causing the issue. Try going to start>type msconfig in the box and then go to the startup tab and uncheck anything that you don't recognize.

I tried that..there was only one thing I didn't recognize but still didn't fix it. I seems to be fine on some Web sites..but as soon as I go to Amazon it freezes. I was browsing for a while with no issues...then I went to Amazon and immediately froze up.

Back
Top Bottom