Kernel Power Error

Rennard

Banned
Hi, I recently upgraded my PSU and graphics card to a OCZ 850w and a hd 6950, this set up has been running smoothly for the past week and a bit until the other day i got a dreaded BSoD and a restart. Having hoped this was a one off I carried on as normal, but unfortunately I got on the next day. My immediate thought was, I've got a dodgey PSU, but then I thought why would it have been running smoothly for a week and start doing it now?

So I hunted around on google for any info, and after trawling several forums I found a possible answer, having two audio drivers conflicting. This would make sense because I have onboard audio (asus p6t se) and audio via hdmi on the gpu, plus, the crashes had been while playing audio through the hdmi. So, i deleted the drivers, rebooted and they reinstalled. I then disabled the drivers, ran a game and itunes (what it's crashed on previously) and it crashed, I then found out how to stop drivers installing automatically, uninstalled them, rebooted and tested a game and itunes again, and it hasn't crashed so far.

So i'm led to believe that i've fixed the problem, however, the driver fix clearly wasn't a permanent option, because i will have to re-allow driver installs eventually, so is there a way i can limit this driver from ever installing? Also, if you've got any other ideas on what this error could be it'd be helpful. Sorry about the long post, I'll post the error data below. Thanks.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-18T23:01:05.907649900Z" />
<EventRecordID>15553</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Olly-PC</Computer>