Internet explorer randomly closes andwon't reopen

lhuser

Golden Master
The thread title pretty much says it all.

I have a guy here who's IE closes down randomly and does not reopen. He could browse for 5 minutes, to even a good half-hour, even sometimes it won't even do it.When it happens though, it just closes; no error messages, no nothing. When that happens, he will need to restart his PC, because it will never reopen.

I came to his place to check, andhe actually happened tohave malware, so I cleaned it, did the most updates, and upgrade him to IE8, as he had 7.0 before. The problem went away for a while, but it came back again. I'm at loss. What could be the culprit of this problem?

Do other browsers do the same thing? I would try disabling the AV for a bit and see if it happens again... though that's probably not it.
I would think if there's any software issues they would be known to M$ or the sofware developer. Did you run malwarebytes (or wahtever you ran) in safe mode? When I run stuff and catch a lot, then do it again in safe mode I always find more.

Is he running Windows 7? Try disabling it and reinstalling it or something... I'm sure you've tried all of this :p W7's kind of trickey with IE though...

When did it start happening to him? Or is he one of those "I don't remember" guys... :D That would be bad!

Nah, he's not the type to forget. It started to happen around a good 2 months now. He's running Windows XP and his AV is Avast Home. Now, I know that AV slows PCs like a living heck, but he likes it.

Anyways, the most biggest brain-fart ever for me is asking him to try another browser. I thought about it all day, but I'll give him a shout and I'll explain it.

As for spyware removal, I ran Spybot, and if I remember, I might have used Combofix as well.

Back
Top Bottom