Installing Linux

"On top of it"? Do u mean you want to replace RH9 with FC3 with all your data kept intact? It's possible to do that but it's not really advisable. Its best to do a new install.

what can I use to partition my drives. I got XP, and an installation for Suse 9.2 and I'm interested in installind it. Can anyone help?

Like said in the first post most Linux Distros come already with a partitioning program... I have not installed SuSe or any Linux distro, I run on BSD. But I am assuming that it will use fdisk as did BSD and Slackware.

iamroot said:
- Debian is an extremely stable distro which is really meant for experienced GNU/Linux users. If you think Slackware is high-level stuff, wait till you see Debian. The plus point of Debian is its stability and the down point is that it does not include cutting-edge software releases like Suse or Fedora Core. (which is why it's stable)

I use Debian. I have used Windows for the past 6 years or so and my computer knowledge has increased over this time. I heard of GNU/Linux quite reccently (like a year or so) and I started off with Debian.

It is not hard at all! Everything can be simple or hard, depending on what you want. The Internet is a GREAT resource. BASH rocks! Emacs rocks! GCC rocks! The purpose of GNU/Linux is to be free and to get the job done. All disros have done this, some with more new-user friendliness than others. Debian is quite fine with new user friendliness (although it does assume that you have some computer knowledge)

Note: The installers are getting better and better! It is really quite awesome! I installed my system in February, and spent like 1.5 hours with the DHCP system. Then, my friend got it installed in February, it auto-detected hardware, DHCP, etc.!

The purpose of GNU/Linux is not to "free and to get the job done". It's meant to provide a Free (Free Speech not Free Beer) OS to users who value software freedom and do not want to use an OS like Windows which locks up your freedom.

This is true. That is what I said. I did mean free as in freedom as opposed to material goods.

But if something is free but does not work, then as free as it is, it is not fit to be used. GNU/Linux does get the job done. Windows, on the other hand, is not only non-free (monetary *and* otherwise) but also does not get the job done (at least not correctly and not all the time.)

I suppose I should have made myself more clear. Apoligies.

Haha. None neccesary. Although free speech is the main reason for using GNU/Linux, free beer is great as well. Who wouldn't want free beer;-)

Back
Top Bottom