HP Windows XP install error

Frost17

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I have an HP Mini that hard drive crashed. I bought a new HDD and installed it. From Bios it detects it and everything seems fine. When I go to install XP it does all the preliminary install and then when it says To Install New Copy of Windows Press Enter... i hit enter and then it says... XP cannot detect a Hard Drive.... then there is a message that says if Hard drive is correctly installed to check manufacturer specs if there is some system setup that needs to be installed

P.S. i know that's not word for word i'm quoting from memory

I'm not a newb but i've been out of the computer scene for a few years so i'm way behind on how somethings are done these days.... any advice out there?

Odds are, the hard drive controller is set for RAID and you are using a SATA hard drive. In XP to get the proper drivers in for the install to work (and recognize the drive) you'd need a floppy disk with the RAID drivers on it and press F6 at the beginning of the install stuff (before the install/repair choices I think). If the computer doesn't have a floppy drive, you can change the controller type to IDE/Normal/Legacy and you should be fine.

Even if you change the drive type to IDE/Normal/Legacy, in some cases, the drive controller, depending on the age of the system, may not have native XP drivers, in which case, the F6 / Floppy is the only route you have to go.

USB Floppy Drives are fairly inexpensive (~$30 online, varies) and are a good thing to have on hand in case a floppy drive you already have stops working, or if you need it for this case.

Sorry I've been MIA - just getting back to this... I went into the BIOS settings and did not see any settings regarding IDE/Normal/Legacy. THe only option I have regarding this is SATA Native (option to enable or disable). Will this do the trick?

SO I actually have a copy of Windows 7 which I was told should take care of the driver issue. No changes to BIOS were made, but now I am getting a message at setup saying it needs a CD/DVD device driver. This computer is an hp mini with no cd rom drive. The windows 7 is being installed from an external plug and play usb DVD drive. What Driver could it be referring to?

Back
Top Bottom