How do I put NTFS file format back on my laptop?t

alvisno15

Baseband Member
I've used Linux on my laptop ever since I got it, and I want to sell it on Ebay, but Vista won't work without the NTFS file system, how do I put it back on there?

If you are going to blow linux away and put Vista on it.. Just boot with the cd. Choose to install and delete the partition(s). The Vista install will do the rest.

If you are going to blow linux away and put Vista on it.. Just boot with the cd. Choose to install and delete the partition(s). The Vista install will do the rest.

See I've tried that, but I've installed a lot of Linux distros and that deleted NTFS completely

Right, When you boot with your Vista cd. The install process will detect your hard drive. You'll then be able to delete the linux partitions. On the unpartitioned space, you can either select to install or create the partition either way the windows install will format the partition for you to NTFS then it will begin the install process.

Here's what you would look for.
You'd select your linux partitions and click delete. You would then see a unallocated disk like below. Here you can select next or format.
inst_vista_rtm_partition_2.gif

You dont have to "put" NTFS on the disk.. It's the type of formatting you do. Windows Vista Install will do this for you.

Just like you can format a disk to Fat, Fat32 or NTFS.

Last edited:
Just a thought, if you are going to sell this laptop you might want to bring the hdd back to zeros with DBAN or another program. Then install Vista.

Back
Top Bottom